New Toy, er Tool

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
My son designed a product for pickup mounted campers and there are quite a few parts that need to be done on a CNC lathe. So we have been looking for a slant bed CNC lathe and I thought we were going to buy an EMCO 242 but it was not to be. So in my continuing search I ran across a Hardinge Conquest 42 that met our criteria. Pulled the trigger on it today. The truck is packed up and I'm ready to pull out to get it just as soon as I can lay my hands on the trailer I need, in the morning I hope.

Here is a picture of it, not much to look at. Hydraulic chuck/collet, 10 station turret, live tooling, tool holders. Per the seller, was working fine when pulled out of service a year ago. Confirmed that it powers up and runs.

upload_2017-10-3_15-52-35.png

The live tooling
upload_2017-10-3_15-53-21.png

And a shot of the turret
upload_2017-10-3_15-53-54.png

And a video of one just like it making a part

Now we just need to learn how to use it. :confused:

I'll keep you updated.

Very nice machine, and video Jim. Starting with Delrin/Nylon, etc. should give you a feel for the machine and the program. Seems that alum. and steel will sharpen the learning curve, as I'm sure you know. Just out if curiosity, if you don't mind, what does something like that go for? Thanks, Mike

Very nice machine, and video Jim. Starting with Delrin/Nylon, etc. should give you a feel for the machine and the program. Seems that alum. and steel will sharpen the learning curve, as I'm sure you know. Just out if curiosity, if you don't mind, what does something like that go for? Thanks, Mike

They are kind of all over the map on price. They seem to run about $8K to $10K. Most don't have the live tool option installed. I picked this one up for <$10K

With what we have already seen of your skill set, I am sure the learning curve will not be too steep for you.
Brino -
After I saw your post, I happened to look down at equipment listed in Jim's sig line block. Just looking at what's there, I get the feeling the learning curve won't be steep at all. Should be "duck soup."

Congratulations, Jim!

Good luck, always was a top shelf machine. Hardinage made or makes some of the best wish I could find an old tool room model.

Good luck, always was a top shelf machine. Hardinage made or makes some of the best wish I could find an old tool room model.

I would love to have a HLV-H. I really don't need one.....but....... :)

Back