New To Welding

Thanks for all the comments and advice. My plan was to buy the lincoln 210 package that comes with all the tig, mig, and stick gear (buy once cry once). I could then use the stick and mig and later learn with tig.

I am only looking at dual power or 220 only machines as i am going to wire my new garage for it. As mentioned i do a lot of shooting, so making targets is important to me and it seems that 3/16 thickness is a minimum, and on the flip side the furniture my wife and i want is going to be thin gauge to save on weight.

A plasma cutter is definately on my list. I have a oxy acetylene torch setup but, again, it puts so much heat into the work so thin stuff gets warped. I also have a little 7x10 lathe that i got tired of using a hacksaw to cut 2 inch diameter aluminum for, so i got a dewalt portable band saw and plan to get a SWAG stand for it.

Think hard before buying a multi function machine. It looks good on paper , but in reality a dedicated machine is usually better. Get a Lincoln or Miller 200 amp range and Dual voltage 120/220 . You want 220 capability.

Think hard before buying a multi function machine. It looks good on paper , but in reality a dedicated machine is usually better.

Can you elaborate on this some? I read this all over the internet when this kind of question comes up. The only explanation i see is the multi process machines "do it all" but dont do any process particularly well. Also can you recommend a dedicated mig machine and stick machine?

In my mind i see mig as being my go to process for around the house and as a hobbiest. But i still want to maintain the ability to use stick as needed. Honestly tig is not really that important to me.

Those kinds of posts all over the web are mostly correct. They will do many things pretty good but a dedicated machine is usually better in anything like this. And switching from mig to Tig is not just flip of a switch. Look at Mill/Lathe combos . It's a cool thing but dedicated is usually better. For Mig I have Millermatic 211 transformer model its a good one , a comparable Lincoln would be fine too. Inverters are fine too, and weigh alot less. Try to get a dual 120/220 machine in the 200 amp range . Get a cheap used tombstone Buzzbox for stick. You could probably find a small used Tig machine DC only just to learn on.....it's 50/50 whether you will like Tig , if u do then great, if not just sell the used little Tig for close to what u paid . Don't invest alot in Tig until u see if u like it. Again, it's like learning a musical instrument. There's a learning curve. Good luck man !

Last edited:
In my mind i see mig as being my go to process for around the house and as a hobbiest. But i still want to maintain the ability to use stick as needed. Honestly tig is not really that important to me.

Yup stick-only to MIG is an upgrade. It allows thinner material, weld for many minutes without changing electrodes, etc. However, stick will always have a place in my shop for heavy stuff, out in the wind, stuff that's a little dirtier/rustier than I'd like, that cannot be cleaned properly.

MIG(flux core) to MIG(gas shield) is another upgrade. No smoke, little spatter, but the cost of gas means it's a little more expensive. I did some repairs to the local Scout groups canoe trailer, and fell back to gas-less; it too will always have a place.

With TIG I am finding that it too opens up new avenues, but also requires more skill. Maybe it's just an "old dog, new trick" thing, I have had the other welding machines for years, but don't feel I have the knack for it yet. A musical instrument is a good analogy (thanks @Subwayrocket ).......and I need much more practice before I can TIG weld an Carnegie Hall.

Really, what I see is a spectrum of ways to do each welding job, and you need to know what tool is most appropriate for that particular job.....of course it means you end up spending a bunch of money on a shop full of tools.

-brino

If I were buying a stick welder for home shop use, I would be looking for one of the old Lincoln tombstone welders. As I recall they were 180 or 225 amp. They came in both AC only and AC/DC models. Completely bulletproof. No electronics, lots of copper and iron in the transformer, and a heavy duty switch for changing the current. I built a whole sawmill with one of those. Probably will last 500 years or more. I see them for sale in the $75 to $150 range.

I would be looking for one about 30 years old.
77.jpg

I have no specific recommendation on a MIG. I bought a Lincoln 135, 120V model at Home Depot a number of years ago and it is still working OK. It welds 1/4 inch OK, or heavier with multiple passes. I wish I had bought the 240V model, it would be nice to have a little more power.

I have a lincoln buzz box. Its ac only, and i tried a dc stick welder and it was much nicer. Would love to trade my ac for an ac/dc.

If look at welders look at your needs
1. Type of work most will all most never weld over 1/2" [13mm] Type welding is less than 1/4" [6.35mm]
2. So if this all you doing do not buy a machine that can welded a battle ship this type of machine will need 240v 200 amp 3 phase service Do not do a Tim the tool man bigger is better.
3. Look at your service most home shops will have at most 240v 50 amp plug and a service to home of 100 to 200 amps
4. If you not doing a lot of welding and most time is mild steel look at flux core wire and machine. This type does not need gas bottle that cost to fill and leak all the gas.
5. Is cost of the welding machine it is how must you planning on weld if just few time a month look at the low cost mig welders from HF or Amazon both well do the job
6. If you are planning on welding ever day of week get a good name brand a good one will cost over $2,000 and will only do mig or tig/stick not both. This type can be found that use 240v 50 amp plug single phase great if you working from home or renting a shop (not all shop will have 3 phase power)

Dave

PS
I have owned MIG welder CP750 this was 750 amp mig welder use it on 480v 100amp plug , but I was working full time it steel fab. To day I have a simple MIG welder that works on 120 v 20 amp plug Low cost ($93.00) from Amazon works great for all my needs. Note if it breaks just buy a new one for low of price.
:cheer:

As the title says, i am new to welding. It is a skill i want to become profficient at as one day i want to own property and i also like to be some what self sufficient. My first welder was a lincoln buzz box. It works, but i am learning that stick welding is not necissarily the greates "do it all" process. It puts a lot of heat into the work and can easily blow through small gage material (however, it works very well for building a pistol dueling tree!)

I am thinking I would like to buy a multi-process machine, because my wife and i just moved and I want to do some DIY furniture builds as i work towards profficient status. I am leaning towards a lincoln powermig 210. This machine seems to be well liked by those that use it. I am aware that most feel that the multi process units dont do anything great, but does them all good enough. But am i overlooking other machines?

I want to stay with a big name brand that has a support base and easily aquired replacement and add on parts. I do not see a need to weld aluminum (yet) as long as I can learn to tig thin gauge steel (to keep furniture weight down).

Thanks.

I bought an ESAB rebel emp 215ic. Really nice machine and good quality also.

Go to friends who weld...try various methods if they let ya.

Look at their machines.

I AM NOT A WELDER.....I can however offer insight.

Welded off and on for 20 years. Mostly AC stick mild steel projects be it work home or a friends shop.

Also done some body sheetmetal...mig...both gas 030 and gassless 030....both work well...one messier and tad more difficult.

Ever used DC stick yet nore a Tig machine.

Currently I got an old AC buzzer runs bout 190 amps max IIRC and depending on rod lays 1 mofo nice bead.

Also have 220V 155 amp Lincon Mig on gas...quick easy and nice but I weld tons outside on old farm implememnts.

Recently have an 80amp 110V mig...mastercraft runnin 030 flux....honestly quite impressed...bas gas provisions and I have gas ...just been too lazy to test.

So far 1/8" material and that 110v mig does fine....as a matter of fact its lately my go to box....tack all my tacks 110 and run the stick once done.

Rods

7018, 8018 1/8"
7014, 8014 1/8"
7024 1/8"

Again...seeing as I am not a welder I do no have tons to offer except play as much as you can before you buy.

Right now I am leaning towards an everlast AC/DC Tig SMAW machine....

Play with every type and machine you can....then decide

Back