new to threading and have questions

Pete,
For your application, (threading on the lathe) you should be fine. Use very sharp tools and have at it. PVC is very forgiving on the lathe. As long as you are not overheating the work you wont have any problems with fumes.

Cheers Phil

I'm not saying you have anything to worry about. I'm just saying it's smart to not breath in anything you dont have to. I dont care what the label say's. Better off safe then the first reported case.

Since the standard UN thread is 60 degrees, and your tool is ground to 60 degrees, moving it along a 29.5 degree line into the cut throws the majority of the cut on the leading (Left) edge of the tool. Many people take this route believing that the cutting force is primarily on that edge and the trailing (Right) edge only cuts the 0.5 degrees left from the compound movement angle, yielding a better finish. This could be true since you can do better in some material with a positive rake, and you really can't practically grind both leading and trailing edges to cut with positive rake. The more positive the leading is, the more negative the trailing edge. If you are using a neutral rake tool, there really isn't as much difference, IMO. It is a point that many will argue, but straight in feed, 29.5 degree feed in.....they both have advantages that are sometimes determined by the machine and material.

If you are feeding in straight, with the cross slide as you mentioned, yes, the 29.5 degrees is immaterial since you won't be moving the compound. In that case, the chipload would be fairly equal on both flanks of the thread, depending on the grind of the tool. Make sure you are understanding that the 29.5 degrees is from the face of the part, not the axis. Not all compounds are marked from the same reference.
so move clockwise 0.50dg from the 30dg (ore 60 ) ?

Viewed from the top, the move should be CW, so that the heel of the tool will still advance into the cut. If you move it CCW, you will get a stepped flank. In reality, the closer to 30 degrees you get, the better your results should be.

For a mental picture, forget the 60 degree tool and think of a straight sided groove tool. If you feed it in straight, no steps on either side (flank) of the groove. But if you feed with the compound at 29.5 degrees, what happens? The left (leading) side strays straight, like the tool, but the right (trailing edge) yields a angled groove wall. The angle will not be smooth though.....it will show the steps along the angled tool path

Last edited:
so move clockwise 0.50dg from the 30dg (ore 60 ) ?

When looking down on the compound from above, yes, you move it 1/2 degree clockwise from 30 degrees. See the illustration in post #6. Tony described it right, he just said it wrong. I've never done that. :whistle:

Tom

Yep Tom.....I blame it on the 7 drug cocktail my back doc gave me. I should be in a coma about now.

Thank you! Correction edit made (I think so, at this point anyway)

R. Sparber, as usual, has an excellent writeup about it, with an explanation of even another workable method of cutting threads.

http://rick.sparber.org/spt.pdf

Yep Tom.....I blame it on the 7 drug cocktail my back doc gave me. I should be in a coma about now.

Thank you! Correction edit made (I think so, at this point anyway)

R. Sparber, as usual, has an excellent writeup about it, with an explanation of even another workable method of cutting threads.

http://rick.sparber.org/spt.pdf

Thanks for that info!

I am really wishing I had paid more attention to the math class instead of the hot little redhead in class. Oh well you live you learn.

Back