New to this forum! Need help identifying some items!

dennish

Registered
Registered
Hello,

I am new to this forum. I have a bit of experience with woodworking tools, but minimal experience with metal working tools.

I inherited some metal working machines (mostly Emco Unimat milling machines) from an uncle and he had some interesting items. I will be posting several times to get some help identifying some parts/jigs, etc that I have come across.

The first is a couple of aluminum items that were with some cutters and vices for a Unimat 3 or SL milling machine. They have "Campbell" stamped on the side. I tried an internet search but had no luck. I have included some pictures.

I hope I have not violated any rules of the forum. In advance, thanks to anyone who can help me.

dennis

IMG_1293.JPGIMG_1294.JPGIMG_1295.JPGIMG_1296.JPGIMG_1297.JPGIMG_1298.JPG

Welcome to the forum.

If these were made in a shop sometimes the maker will stamp initials or name on the item.

They could be used for holding certain projects in the vise. The one with the two round pieces could be used for holding a piece which is curved on one side. The curve would engage on the round sections.

The other could be a spacer to raise something in the vise.

First, welcome to H-M!

I must agree with the others that the items you have there appear to be shop made tooling for a special project or part. The piece with the two cylindrical parts does look like a sine bar made to hold a specific part. Sine bars are typically used in conjunction with spacer blocks to achieve a specific angle in a very accurate fashion. It may be that the other part that you have, the block, is cut to a specific dimension just for that purpose.

The diagram below shows how a sine bar is used. The red triangle shows the dimensions that are used to calculate and create the angle that the sine bar is set to.

Sine Bar Usage.JPG

Wow! Thanks for the quick responses, on Thanksgiving, no less! This gives me a very good impression of this forum and its members. Thank you!

I have another item - I am going to guess on this one. I believe it is a tool for rounding the end of a piece of stock in a lathe. Or for creating a curved bevel of some sort on round stock. Go easy on me if I am wrong:)!

Thanks again,
dennisIMG_1299.JPGIMG_1300.JPGIMG_1301.JPGIMG_1302.JPG

You got it. Commonly called a "ball turner" or some such. Some good factory ones available, but many hobbyists choose to make their own, just as a project. They can usually be set for OD or ID work, or if you prefer the terms concave and convex profiles.

Welcome aboard Dennis!

-brino

Back