New to Milling, looking for tooling recommendations

Go big.

You can hold small stuff in a big vice but not big stuff in a small vice, even hold a small vice in a big vice.
I would go for an 8" vice, it is probably the tool you will use the most. Also a 5/8" keyless chuck.
Forget flycutters there are plenty of cheap tipped facemills about - leave one insert in if you need a flycutter ( you won't though ).
Take time to make an accurate datum retaining end stop.
Forget indicator holders - get a lever indicator with a pivoting stem - it will always be set on centre, great for small bores to tramming the head.
A set of R8 sidelock holders will be very useful.
Start to collect a set of reduced shank drills 13.5 to 26 in 0.5 increments and make a stand.

These are items that save me time and frustration on all my jobs.

There will always be stuff you need, so concentrate on what suits your projects.
An 8" vise will tip his machine over.......

An 8" vise will tip his machine over.......
LOL! no not an 8 inch. the old warrior I have coming is a 5". Might be a bit too big, but will make for a nice resto project at the very least....

I've got some nice collections of drills, HSS endmills and taps for sale that will get you up and running quickly. I should have some drill chucks that might fit the bill too, if you let me know what you're after.

I'm interested.

After you get your initial tooling setup, here are a few "intermediate" items you might enjoy:
  • Shop-Vac for cleaning up the gobs of chips you'll be making
  • Small air compressor (if you don't have one) for a air gun
  • Spiral point and spiral flute ground taps in common sizes. Import is fine. Stop buying Irwin taps from Home Depot
  • Variety of milling cutters (chamfer cutters, conterbores, countersinks, fly cutter, etc.)
  • Good tap handle and spring loaded tap follower
  • Brass shim stock set. Useful for everything and often used in setting up parts (especially castings)
  • 2" Boring Head w/ 3/4" stub shank arbor (you might have to cut it to size on your own)
  • Vee blocks, usually 2 pair in different sizes covers most of your needs.
  • Set of over/under reamers .1245 to .5005. Great for press/slip fits to dowels. More useful than on-size reamers IMO.
  • 2", 3", 4" tool makers vises. Great for lots of setups. You can hold these in your existing vise to make compound angle setups.
  • Angle setup block set. Used with the tool maker's vises above.
  • 2-3 sets of 1-2-3 blocks. Great for general purpose setup
  • 4" rotary w/ tailstock. 4", 4 jaw independent lathe chuck
  • 4" 4 jaw independent lathe chuck + DIY backplate to mount to mill take. Quick setup on round parts.
  • Digital Readout. AliExpress has options for ~$250. Lot of work to install, but worth every penny.
  • 0.0001" Swiss style dial test indicator. Really ups your game in terms of accuracy. This is pricy though.

After you get your initial tooling setup, here are a few "intermediate" items you might enjoy:
  • Shop-Vac for cleaning up the gobs of chips you'll be making - got one
  • Small air compressor (if you don't have one) for a air gun - 20 gallon in the back room
  • Spiral point and spiral flute ground taps in common sizes. Import is fine. Stop buying Irwin taps from Home Depot - have a couple sets, mostly through taps, very few bottoming.
  • Variety of milling cutters (chamfer cutters, conterbores, countersinks, fly cutter, etc.) - have small assortment, need more
  • Good tap handle and spring loaded tap follower - have a couple decent tap handles, some ratchting (love ratching tap handles!). Not sure what spring followers are, more research required.
  • 2" Boring Head w/ 3/4" stub shank arbor (you might have to cut it to size on your own) - done, but r8 shaft
  • Vee blocks, usually 2 pair in different sizes covers most of your needs. - done, but only one set
  • Set of over/under reamers .1245 to .5005. Great for press/slip fits to dowels. More useful than on-size reamers IMO. -Very few reamers, I buy as needed
  • 2", 3", 4" tool makers vises. Great for lots of setups. You can hold these in your existing vise to make compound angle setups. - have none, they're pricey, will take a while to get a couple.
  • Angle setup block set. Used with the tool maker's vises above. - not sure what they are, research is required
  • 2-3 sets of 1-2-3 blocks. Great for general purpose setup - have a set of 1-2-3 blocks, only one set of two though
  • 4" rotary w/ tailstock. 4", 4 jaw independent lathe chuck - have none. pricey, will take time to acquire
  • 4" 4 jaw independent lathe chuck + DIY backplate to mount to mill take. Quick setup on round parts. - do not have. Price again.
  • Digital Readout. AliExpress has options for ~$250. Lot of work to install, but worth every penny. - may buy one, may not. Price is the big factor. Still trying to find one that will work with my atlas th42 at a reasonable price (IE: resonable to my wallet)
  • 0.0001" Swiss style dial test indicator. Really ups your game in terms of accuracy. This is pricy though. - looking at a couple starett models, Older ones though. Older "distressed" stuff is how I get a lot of my "quality" tooling. Pick 'em up a deent prices and restore them.
Replies in RED. Good list though....

Back