New To Me Van Norman 12...

There is a plug. Between the dovetails, towards the front of the gear box. It looks like a slotted screw. Use SAE 30 non-detergent oil in there.

VN C collet key - rev1.png

That's the print for the drive key in the spindle. You want the red outline.

Start with a #608 woodruff key, and cut it down.

Jason

Last edited:
Thank you, found it. Also, found the serial number after a lot of scrubbing. How can this thing be that old. It's number is 5016-12. I looked twice actually. I pulled up the website and looked again. Yep, it was built before 1937. So, I guess I now know, I have the old head design. Was curious about that. I really wish I had the drive lugs, but I don't, so I will have to make do.

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko

You probably have the 2nd oldest on the forum, I have 5000-12. We think it may be the first production 12 ever. We have the #6 cutter head, without the drive lugs. What hp is your machine? Mine is only 1 hp. Yours was probably built in 37, as I think production started in 37.

Jason

I hate to say this, but the original motor was a distant memory. It was replaced with a 3/4 HP lockwired on thing with welded tabs added to the self made bracket. I did ask for the original, but it was not available for purchase. Thanks for the info on the cutter head. You learn something new everyday. I am actually surprised by its condition. Do you like yours? Also, are the drive lugs really needed?

https://goo.gl/photos/9vqpccQsoTLezEMx8

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko

The newer machines have 2 HP motors, mine only has a 1 HP. I was curious as to what they were originally built with.

I like mine, though I am hitting capacity limits fairly often. As for the lugs, they aren't required and I have yet to load mine to the point where I have sheared the drive key off. The lugs were added later, so they fall into the improvements over time category.

My biggest complaint is since I have the first one, it lacks all the improvements of the later models. The biggest upgrade I wish I had is the newer cutter head with the modern rubber seals instead of the mechanical seals in the older heads, however my machine is practically new, but it still drools oil here and there.

Here it is after rebuilding.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/vn-12-5000-rebuild-is-complete.38565/

Jason

Also, thanks for the heads up on the drooling. I highly doubt it could be any worse than the two flat belt drill presses and the countershaft on my little Southbend 9. There are litterally oil sling marks running up walls and toolboxes...

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko

Back