[Lathe] New To Me Pre 1905 Blaisdell 22 Inch Lathe... Help Please?

Ok guys.. been messing with this thing.. After finding that the bit that i bought wont work, and I cant get the bit low enough using the step up/down tool "lantern" piece. Maybe I have the wrong holder?

After assuming that I had a 1/2 inch tool holder that had been beat up.... after trying to file it back into shape realized that it was a 7/16ths bit holder Armstrong 3S).... (that steel doesnt file very easily btw). So I bought another tool holder that was the intended 1/2 inch Armstrong 4S) for a lot of bits that I had already ordered. (someone bought out some metal fabricating place and were reselling them)

Then after getting the tool holder, I could not get the bit to hit at centerline.. (about 1/4 inch up at best)

There is no concave and no rocker. Just the step system that you can see in one of the pictures. So I, in a bit of desperation wanting to at least make a MARK in a piece of pipe, tapered a piece of wood (I'll hold on while you shiver......) I at least made a few grooves... and finding out that a 1/2 inch wide carbide takes more pressure than I am comfortable putting on this thing at this point.

Now, also finding out that the part that grabs onto the screw rod (not sure what to call it, the threaded rod that rotates under the saddle along the length of the bed) is missing.... so that will be an interesting find/build.

Anybody got any comments, suggestions, additions, questions?

any advice what to call the thing that clamps onto the screw rod so i can research ebay?

Don't carry - on; bits of hard Maple or cherry make fine test pieces, shims,etc.
Can be machined pretty accurately, but don't trust .00? More than an hour or
Two. .......BLJHB.

Hi David,

.......and the half-nut engages with the carriage lead screw.

Try this book for some basic lathe terminology:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/resources/sb-how-to-run-a-lathe-15th-ed-pdf.2891/

It sounds like you are into a quite a large project.

Sorry for the delay in responding, but I am "watching" the thread now.
Please post back with any questions, and keep us informed of your progress.

-brino

5/8/16

hello, David.

This is sort of a teaser:

I have a 1901 copy of the Machinist's magazine. I am away from my office, so I can't even offer the correct name for the publication. In it is an advertisement for a Blaisdell lathe. I will look for it, and scan the advert. In the same publication I think I remember an advertisement for a machine made by Whitcomb. That is the same Whitcomb who is remembered as half of the "Webster - Whitcomb" (WW) split collet lathe collet now used all over the world on watchmaker's 8 mm lathes. I will have to check.

In my barn I have Whitcomb - Blaisdell lathe very similar to yours. It has a 15" swing, allows 5' between centers, and the lathe is eight feet long. I don't know any of the history of that marriage/merger, but the two lathes have much in common (as do all lathes so that is a kind of dumb observation. I thought I should say that before someone else does.) In the next few days I will try to post pictures of both the advertisement and my lathe.

I have to say that the paint scheme on your lathe is unlikely to be copied in my machine shop. It conflicts with most of my neck ties. Have fun with a terrific historical machine. I'll bet that if you remove the paint on the front of the apron of your lathe carefully that you will find some lovely frosting on the surface. Old iron is so great! Jcl

I just picked up a 22 inch Blaisdell Lathe total bed length 10 foot...(can't put up a picture until I get my 5 posts...)

I was hoping one of you fine people could lead me into some more information (manuals, specifications) (all i can find so far is a sales sheet)

It's been modified with a 1 HP 110 electric motor and a chevy transmission.

Any advice? I'm about a can of PB Powerblaster in.View attachment 99657 View attachment 99658 . View attachment 99659 View attachment 99660 View attachment 99661

That's cool, I like that! Congrats!

A little F.Y.I. The thread was started little over an year ago.

Be nice if the OP would give us a update on the status of his project lathe here.

There may be some literature on The Vintage Machinery Website on Whitcomb - Blaisdell lathes. I have a good friend of mine that had a catalog on this brand of lathe that I may be able to get a scanned copy from provided he still has it.

Back