New to me Monarch 10EE -1943

wpala

Active User
Registered
Hi
Just got this baby home and slowly starting the strip down and refurbish project on this lathe, the only thing I'm afraid of that with my limited skills I might just got more than I can chew ... will see
Paul
mon9.jpgmon1.jpgmon2.jpgmon3.jpgmon4.jpgmon5.jpgmon6.jpgmon7.jpgmon8.jpg

mon9.jpg mon1.jpg mon2.jpg mon3.jpg mon4.jpg mon5.jpg mon6.jpg mon7.jpg mon8.jpg

Congrats on the new purchase Paul
Did you manage to score any tooling with it?

That's looks like the same shop , and lathe I seen down in Toronto. Around sunnybrook hospital?

Hi Yes there is quite a bit of tooling will take some more photos, 4 jaw chuck, plate, steady and follow rests tons of cutting tools newer AXA tool post with few quick change holders but no taper attachment, and yes the lathe is from the guy around Sunnybrook hospital, but the shop is actually my garage, did you went to see that lathe? I feel like I bough F16 jet fighter but I can't fly... anyway I have lots of time to do this I just hope there is nothing seriously wrong with the lathe it is used a bit abused but everything seams to work on it we had it running

Paul

Congrats on the new purchase Paul
Did you manage to score any tooling with it?

That's looks like the same shop , and lathe I seen down in Toronto. Around sunnybrook hospital?

Paul
I have been over to his place a few times. He had some tooling a friend of mine was looking at. I just noticed in the pics, that the lathe and shops pics Ive seen before. The guy you got it from was Mike. That shop was loaded full of machinery. When I was last there, there was 2-10ee Monarchs, I by the garage door, and another at the other end of the shop by his mill. You probably noticed a CNC Bridgeport in there too, and that big Mueser lathe.

I wasn't there checking out that lathe , though he had it going for a good price, and with the tooling you mentioned. I have a 1941 Sidney that weighs in over 4000 pounds. If I was looking for a lathe, it would have been one to concider.
The friend that was with me does have a 10ee, I think its the same yr as yours.

Congrats on the new baby. She is the older cousin of mine (1956). I hope you enjoy it, I have found mine a real joy to use.

Nice looking EE. Welcome to the club. I just recently picked one up myself and with the help of Cal have just made my first parts with it. It's a pleasure to run for sure. Love that variable speed.

Nice addition to the family Paul. I looked at that lathe a couple years ago when I was looking for one. Mike Ward (McGyver) has a load of nice stuff there in his garage. When I was there, he powered up your 10EE and everything seemed to be working fine. It just needs a good refurb, which it what he was working on with his other '43 10EE. Mike did an excellent many-part series over the 18 months or so on machine scraping that was published in Home Shop Machinist. Well worth the read if you have that subscription. Good luck on your rebuild project ahead. It will be a lot of fun, and once you've got it all spit and polished, your have even more fun using it. These 10EEs are a dream to run. Just holler if you have questions ... there's a few of us around with them.

Cheers, Bill ('52 EE)

Last edited:
Thanks Bill
Work in progress I have striped down most of it just waiting for a wormer weather to start paintig it and put it back together also order a 7.5 hp RPC to make her run

Paul.W

Nice addition to the family Paul. I looked at that lathe a couple years ago when I was looking for one. Mike Ward (McGyver) has a load of nice stuff there in his garage. When I was there, he powered up your 10EE and everything seemed to be working fine. It just needs a good refurb, which it what he was working on with his other '43 10EE. Mike did an excellent many-part series over the 18 months or so on machine scraping that was published in Home Shop Machinist. Well worth the read if you have that subscription. Good luck on your rebuild project ahead. It will be a lot of fun, and once you've got it all spit and polished, your have even more fun using it. These 10EEs are a dream to run. Just holler if you have questions ... there's a few of us around with them.

Cheers, Bill ('52 EE)

Thanks Bill
Work in progress I have striped down most of it just waiting for a wormer weather to start paintig it and put it back together also order a 7.5 hp RPC to make her run

Paul.W
Do yourself a favor and DON'T strip anything to bare metal that you don't need to. Sand it smooth and paint away, it will look great. They used lead based filler back in the day and it makes a huge mess if you try to remove it and there's really no need.

You can save a bundle by getting just the RPC panel and finding a used 7.5 motor for and idler locally.
I looked an RPC panel that Phil found from WNY. It appears to be well designed and reasonably priced.
http://www.wnysupply.com/index.cfm/fa/categories.main/parentcat/25258
I haven't seen one in person, but that's what I would buy if I were in the market. (I have no connection to WNY.) Maybe Phil can comment on his.

Cal

Do yourself a favor and DON'T strip anything to bare metal that you don't need to. Sand it smooth and paint away, it will look great. They used lead based filler back in the day and it makes a huge mess if you try to remove it and there's really no need.

You can save a bundle by getting just the RPC panel and finding a used 7.5 motor for and idler locally.
I looked an RPC panel that Phil found from WNY. It appears to be well designed and reasonably priced.
http://www.wnysupply.com/index.cfm/fa/categories.main/parentcat/25258
I haven't seen one in person, but that's what I would buy if I were in the market. (I have no connection to WNY.) Maybe Phil can comment on his.

Cal
Hi Cal
I think we think alike this is exactly what I'm doing just removing loose paint and smoothing things out I took apart most of the machine just to get it good clean from all the old grease, I bought a 7.5 hp 230v 3ph motor locally and ordered a gold series RPC panel from WNY now waiting for a warmer weather so I can start painting it :))

Paul.W

Back