New To Me Mckenzie Lathe

That looks great Izz- I really like that John Deere green.
Mark S.

Ok guys little update! Got the lead screw installed, steady rest is all brazed up and painted and looks good as new! Thanks to everyone who pushed me towards brazing it! But now Ive noticed one little problem! It seems the gear the engages the rack and moves the carriage along rubs on the lead screw! You can see where the lead screw has worn a small groove into the gear. Is there any sort of adjustment I can do? Maybe an early design flaw? Could I possibly have missed something on re-assembly? Any help is appreciated! IMG_20170319_150213.jpg IMG_20170307_164228.jpg

You may have nailed it Izz: I think it may be an early design flaw- probably the only practical thing to do would be to trim the gear for clearance. Get out your dremel and trim each tooth. Anything else would be a lot of work. I don't see any other easy way.
Mark S.

Hey Izzy, From your photo above it looks like the pinion gear is only around 75% mating with the rack.
Of course, maybe it's just the angle the photo is at........hard to tell from here......

Can the pinion be moved out of the apron a little farther?
Any spacers in there you could remove?
If it did move, would it then clear the lead-screw?

-brino

I'm sure I could place some shims on the shaft somewhere to move the gear in and out I'll give that a shot if that doesn't work I'll just have to trim the teeth... I was hoping something else may have been causing this lol
I'm gonna remove the apron again and see if maybe some dirt or something got in-between the apron and saddle when I assembled causing it to be slightly lower than it should be...

Back