New To Me Landis 1 1/2 Surface Grinder

Do I need anything else for this grinder?

• A mister to cool work.

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Pump with coolant

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Silverbullet

Registered
Registered
I found this on Craig'list in Philadelphia , I'm in NJ, 12 miles from Philly. So this beauty pops on my screen with a small picture or two. I made my offer and he was so great he delivered it to me for my offer.
It came yesterday man she's a beast , dirty but fresh from a working shop. Even gave me about ten wheels for it. I've sprayed her down to loosen the grime she will be tarped up till I can get her spot ready and I get a vfd to get three phase . Rotary phase converter is to costly for me now and buzz boxes I don't trust.
So now I need a manual and break down for her . The paints nice just dirty. A little play in the table hand crank on the y axis. Everything else is tight and alright no extra slop , bearings feel super.
I'm getting things I never thought I'd ever own in my shop. Now if I can find a vertical bandsaw up to a 20" no bigger no room.
Anybody have any time using or owning one ? Is there any problems with these to watch for?

Silverbullet
I have a Gardner 1-1/2 which is an earlier name of the Landis. I just got it a month ago so am learning and investigating it. There is very little info on these grinders that I can find. I would like to know what you have found and compare notes. Mine seems to be in great condition but came with no spindle wrenches or adapter puller. I made a puller yesterday. Hope to hear from you!
Aaron

Congrats on the find. A surface grinder was the one tool on my list of things to get that didn't happen before the money tree died.

Have fun with it.

Silverbullet
I have a Gardner 1-1/2 which is an earlier name of the Landis. I just got it a month ago so am learning and investigating it. There is very little info on these grinders that I can find. I would like to know what you have found and compare notes. Mine seems to be in great condition but came with no spindle wrenches or adapter puller. I made a puller yesterday. Hope to hear from you!
Aaron
No tooling with mine , mounted wheel on machine and about 6 extras in differing conditions. The only thing I see that mine needs is a flat piece of steel screwed under the way on one side needs to be screwed back on. Came right from the shop was used till in was delivered to me. It's really in super condition for its age.
I'm stuck waiting on doctors to get surgery for bulging discs . It's been a year just doing there lists of do this first let's try epidural shots . None worked or helped. Now the surgeon postponed my appointment another month.
I'd like to see the tool you made guess ill need one too. What adapters or sizes does the grinder use?

No tooling with mine...
I'm stuck waiting on doctors...
I'd like to see the tool you made guess ill need one too. What adapters or sizes does the grinder use?

I'm just 5 weeks out from a total knee replacement so not feeling ambitious and up to snuff yet. I'll get a pic of the puller I made. Will also have to make 2 or 3 wrenches for the spindle.

I checked with SOPKO who makes wheel adapters for grinders and one for this grinder would be upwards of $500 and that not even with adjustable balance weights. Needless to say that won't be! This means there are more projects looming!

I'd really like to have several wheels mounted and ready to install so it would be fast to change from a straight to a profiled wheel. I already bought a radius/angle dresser, a spin fixture and a magnetic compound sine plate. I have plans in my head for multiple projects for the grinder.It would be a shame to have to dress a wheel each time a new shape was needed. But still probably cheaper than buying more expensive tooling.

Aaron

So here is a pic of the spindle, adapter and retaining nuts
DSCF3108.JPG

These are the 3 wrenches and puller. All need cleaning and a coat of paint to look pretty and not be lost among the clutter and swarf
DSCF3109.JPG

And a pic of the machine
DSCF3110.JPG

My next job, as my knee feels better, will be to build a balancing frame/jig and then attempt a balancing arbor.

Aaron

Boy that sure is a twin to mine , the landis 1 1/2 , I'm in limbo waiting to see the surgeon for months . But to get a better Dr it's what YA do. Dr Harrop is at the top now in Jefferson hospital in Philadelphia. Plus my home visiting Dr was working in Jefferson when he was doing his residence twenty years ago. She spoke highly of him , and she was worried for me to figure who to go to. I could of gone to the butcher shop that did the first two spine operations which left me a quadrapertic for the last forty years. This is supposed to be an easy operation but I'll find out . Dead or out of pain is what I want.
Thanks for showing me your tools we,'ll have to collaborate on future things for our grinders. I'm planning on doing ALOT including three walls and a roof added in front of one garage door for the surface grinder. Time and money , lots of time and hardly no money . But ill raise the money I always do. I haven't even touched the landis other then oiling the finish and wrapping it in a tarp. I didn't get the end guards on the table either but they can be built easily.
I still want a vertical bandsaw and a big belt grinder. Nice grinder in Philly but no answer to inquiry. Also want old set of cast iron legs for my planer.

Back