New To Me, Jet 1336pbd - With Some "issues"

This is mine it's a 1989 you have some extras that I didn't get with my lathe. With what you have taken apart so far how hard would it be to change out the belts? I have
Been thinking about using the belts that come apart in pieces . Keep up the good work on your project.

image.jpeg [/GALLERY]

Nice! Do you have the threaded spindle nose too? I sort of wish I had the optional D1-4 interface.
If you have no problems with your back gears or spindle then I would choose the link belt. If you decide to change the belts then you may want to change the bearings at the same time.

Steve Shannon, P.E.

[Yes it has the 2 1/4" threaded spindle same as yours . Everything works so I'm not to excited about taking it all apart. I got this lathe from a older guy 2 years ago . He purchased it from a school. I'm happy with it. I'm a beginner and have a lot to learn.I think I will pick up the link belts just in case I need them some day. I have the manual if you need any info on your lathe. I think you will be happy with your lathe when you get it up and running. Craig's list can be a wonderful thing!]

View attachment 116552

Last edited:
When I click on the attachment I receive an error. It may be security on my end.
Steve

OK here is a drawing of the backgear assembly in the BDB-1340A at work. The worst that could happen is that you will have to bore out the new gears off the shaft and make a new shaft to fit them to your machine. The dimensions are approximate as I did not remove the assembly naturally.
Pierre
backgear.JPG

Thank you for that, Pierre. I really appreciate your help.

Steve Shannon, P.E.

Pierre,
Thank you for jogging my mind into gear. No pun intended. I can definitely use the BDB-1340 gear part #04109A, which means I can use the bull gear, part #04117A. Worst case, the helical is the wrong angle (helical angle or pitch angle) on the 52 tooth gear on the back gears. I don't expect that, but if it is true then I can replace another gear on the spindle or make a Frankenstein monster using the old and new back gears.
Hmmm...

Steve Shannon, P.E.

backgearjet.jpg

Here is a photo of the Jet gear set. Based upon the photo you posted of your gear set, the gears are cut the same way. The only issue would be the spacing between the two, which I alluded to in the other post.

As for my clone, there is no label anywhere on it. So it is unknown who the maker was.
Pierre

I found my cheap digital calipers. Pierre's drawing matched all the measurements on back gear within a millimeter.
Thank you, Pierre!

Steve Shannon, P.E.

The OD of the back gear shaft measures 20.56. The bore of the back gear is 20.59. It's a tight fit inserting the shaft; in fact I have to tap it with a plastic mallet, but once it's on it spins freely without feeling loose. How can I be sure the shaft isn't too worn?

Steve Shannon, P.E.

Back