New To Me, Jet 1336pbd - With Some "issues"

Mine is the same length, but I know my first purchases will need to include good measuring tools.
Here's mine:
e05e45400e19dd51002c0f99f7750f3a.jpg

Steve Shannon, P.E.

The pinion, on the right, is about 7/8 inch thick. The gear on the left is 3/4 in. thick.
Let me know when I start to irritate you. :)
Does yours have a zerk?
Also, can you slide the back gears left and right? I don't see a set screw and mine definitely slide, about 1/8 inch or so.
The problem with mine is this broken tooth:

Thank you very much!12917a40abcb7d8fbf5d2db37b2b03dd.jpg

Steve Shannon, P.E.

I just looked at mine, and it has about 3/16" play from end to end and has a zerk. I've never had it out, but if the need arises I will probably install some shims. If or when you pull the spindle, it would be a good idea to drill some "extra" dog pin holes in the face of the spindle pulley. I had mine get rounded off and ever so often it would slip out of gear, so I drilled 4 holes for the drive pin dog to engage as not to put so much wear on just one hole.

Thanks, derf, I wonder if the design uses the side to side play to equalize the thrust caused by the helical gears.
I will eventually remove the spindle. Tonight I tried to remove the back gears. I took out the set screws and removed the lever. The bushing on the left end slid out easily. Because of the offset shaft i "think" the right bushing needs to be removed toward the right. I started tapping on the shaft using a block of wood on the left end of the shaft. The bushing on the right started coming out easily, but then stopped. Not wanting to break anything, I stopped. Any suggestions?

Steve Shannon, P.E.

Last edited:
Looking at the BDB-1340A manual/parts diagram, it looks like the eccentric shaft should be able to slide out to the left. I'll try that tomorrow.

Steve Shannon, P.E.

More pictures of the lathe:
3fc87edf27173e3bc9223feacecbe2b7.jpg

Here's the spindle bore:
Outboard
439ee4929ebd4dac4d35395dce54bba7.jpg

Inboard view
8299dc913b7d231e567f4f0029788657.jpg

Steve Shannon, P.E.

That bushing should be able to go either way, the only thing that holds it is a set screw. It may have a slight burr or mushroom on the side where the gear rubs it.

Thats the exact lathe I have in my shop. Mine is a 1989. It will be interesting to see what parts will work in this lathe. I have the original manual for it also.

Tonight I tried to remove the back gears. I took out the set screws and removed the lever. The bushing on the left end slid out easily. Because of the offset shaft i "think" the right bushing needs to be removed toward the right. I started tapping on the shaft using a block of wood on the left end of the shaft. The bushing on the right started coming out easily, but then stopped. Not wanting to break anything, I stopped. Any suggestions?

Did you check for a second set-screw under the first?
That is sometimes done to lock the first one, like grub nuts.
-brino

Brino,
When I first started, one of the set-screws was missing completely. In my poking around I have found some screws missing, broken, or replaced with something "similar". :)
I looked in the hole and could see the bushing. On the other end of the shaft I removed the sole set-screw. The bushing that had a set-screw came out easily. The other came out easily about 3/8 inch, then seemed to get tight.

Steve Shannon, P.E.

Back