New to Me: Index 845 Vertical Mill

Agreed, wish I had the room for a full size mill. That ones pretty cool and not one you see everyday. It looks like it has lots of travel on all axis. Looks like all it really needs is some tlc and maybe some paint. Nice find.

in messing around and just having a great time with Beatrice.
through some research, i was able to find out that she is equipped with NMTB-30 tooling.
i'll be honest by saying i have not worked with any NMBT-30 design tools
my experience has been with R8 and MT2 equipped mills.
i just read moments ago, NMTB-30 seems to be preferred by many. one of the main reasons being the toolholder is more easily removed. there is a lot more surface area on the cone of the NMTB-30.
i got a lot of toolholders with her, some really big ones too.
i was pleasantly surprised.

if anyone has any info on the NMTB-30 stuff or info on the 845, i'd be glad to hear about it!!

i updated this paragraph, after Ron, had told me of my mistake:footinmouth:

Last edited:
Gotta ask what's CAT 30 tooling? Like you I have only seen mt and r-8 tooling. I'm glad your having fun with the ole girl!!!!

Chris

Gotta ask what's CAT 30 tooling? Like you I have only seen mt and r-8 tooling. I'm glad your having fun with the ole girl!!!!

Chris

well, Chris
the NMTB30 is on the left, r8 on the right
Cat30 1.JPG Cat30 2.JPG
Cat30 3.JPG

Cat30 1.JPG Cat30 2.JPG Cat30 3.JPG

Last edited:
Mike,

That's not exactly "cat 30" tooling. It predates the "cat" stuff and it's commonly referred to as "NMTB 30" (sometimes "NST 30"). The "cat" stuff doesn't have the extra cylinder shape on the small end of the taper.

The two are NOT interchangeable so be careful when buying more tooling.

Hope that helps,

-Ron

thanks for the heads up,:footinmouth:
i think my tooling needs are covered, for a while!!
i was and still am ignorant, but i'll make it a point to find out the differences
i appreciate the feedback and feel a debt of gratitude
:man:

mike:))

Last edited:
i have found out the cat30 and the nmtb-30 share the same angle.
it appears the drawbar differs between them.
The Cat 30 stuff is used in high end and low end cnc mills, as Ron said earlier, the nmtb is a predecessor to the cat30.

Thanks Ron, for the clue!!!
it was obvious i didn't have one:lmao:

Thanks for the pictures, never seen anything like that before!!!

Chris

yep Chris,
when i saw the pile of tool holders i got with the mill, i had no idea what type they were.
i looked at the side of one of the better made tool holders and saw it said type 30 etched into the side of it.
i assumed it was cat 30 because i typed in type 30 on a google search and the cat 30 tooling came up.
the tools are very similar in shape but look slightly different.
one thing is for sure, you will never twist a NMTB 30 tool like you can an R8 or a MT.
it has 2 locking dogs that prevent rotation of the tool holder in the spindle.

Back