New to me Hendey 14 x 30

My curiosity got the best of me today. I wanted to see the machine run and find out how well the clutch works. I ran power straight to the motor temporarily to get things turning. I had to do some tweeking on the clutch adjustment but it works real smooth now. After dousing the qc box with 90 wt. and the gears on back with open gear grease it runs surprisingly quiet. I tried to post a short video but I've never posted one before...so we'll see if it works. I noticed that it sounds a lot louder on the video than it seemed in person.

Attachments

• 20171001_132326_001.mp4
    720.4 KB · Views: 28
Like an old engine, fire it up and it starts spitting and spluttering.
Sounds good for a old 60 year old lathe! You can't beat an Hendy lathe hardly. Should give you another 60 years of service and then some!
You did a fine job on restoring her!

Thanks, I still need to open up a spot for it and give it a proper power supply but it's a keeper.

I moved some machines around and made room for the hendey. I want to power it with the VFD that is currently on my Polamco lathe. That's going to be a project, so for the time being I am running it with an RPC. Tonight I did a cursory leveling job on it. I did a 4" test cut afterwards and it held 0.0001. I realize that's a short cut, but still very happy. I had the feed stop set so it stopped cutting before crashing. I love that option. I messed around cutting to a shoulder and it is dead on. It's going to be great for boring and threading.20171017_190336.jpg

Last edited:
Back