New To Me Dividing Head

rafe

Active User
Registered
I just bought a 12" Carroll dividing head the other day, I have been wanting one for a long time. but they are hard to find at a good price. I guess I was at the right place at the right time and got a great deal. It hasn't arrived yet, but It appears to be a fine machine albeit not small. There is only one plate with it and I don't know what it consists of . Looks like the bigger hole pattern is direct indexing. It has a drive gear to do helical's etc. looks like it is complete ...I am hoping I can find some plates for it. Is Carroll a fairly common D.Head. Hopefully it will be packed properly and will arrive safely. No tailstock ,chuck,or center comes with it but that should not be a major problem. I will post photos when it arrives...It's another beautiful beast !

I bought a 6" Carroll a while back, it also came with only one plate and no chuck, but did come with tailstock.
I've been considering installing manually controlled stepper or servo motors to act as power feeds (cheaper than regular PF's).
As such, thought it might be possible to install a stepper motor as a driver for the dividng head.

No pics, it didn't happed. :grin:

"Billy G"
LOL "oh but it did!" It will be a week before I see It in person ...I have the pics from the auction ...this is why I didn't post them it came out tinycarroll dh.JPG

It will arrive by the end of the day tomorrow. Shipping was $85.00 so I'm hoping I didn't pay too much for it(TIC) ....I'll post some photo's and we can determine a value and then I'll know .....

...snip ....I'll post some photo's and we can determine a value and then I'll know .....

The legal value has already been determined. One just sold at auction.:rolleyes:

When it becomes useful in the shop, its priceless!

Friday came and went ....UPS changed the status from By the end of the day Fri to ...No Info available............ finally this morning is was updated to leaving Jax and to be delivered by the end of the day Mon ... tomorrow .....still ahead of the Sept 02 date From the auction ......I am really excited about this one for some reason .....tic toc tic toc ...what you say is true the value was established and I do believe it's a keeper......so I am more than lucky to have found one I could afford 12" Carroll with outboard to boot...probably not useful on a BP The outboard that is

Back