New To Me Craftsman 618 - Everything In Order?

hi Dave,

Over on the OWWM/Vintage Machinery site there is lots of original detail from the manufacturer (Atlas) on that lathe uploaded (manuals, technical specs, parts breakdowns, bulletins, etc.) that you can download for free and print off.

Here's a link: http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=51&tab=3

Good luck with yours and have fun...you bought well IMO, and will have no problem moving it along if you later decide to kick it up another level.

Dave,

Around 1960 or so, Atlas changed the oil recommendation from SAE 10 to SAE 20 retroactive. Any straight non-detergent SAE 20 (or ISO 68) should work fine.

When you get enough posts to have access (30 and promoted to ACTIVE MEMBER) or if you make a donation to the site, the Atlas/Craftsman/AA Category of DOWNLOADS contains a lot (currently 108 I think) of manuals, parts lists, drawings, catalogs & etc. on the Atlas or Atlas/Craftsman machines. Many of these that were found elsewhere have been cleaned, straightened and/or corrected and are easier to read than the source documents.

Dave,

Around 1960 or so, Atlas changed the oil recommendation from SAE 10 to SAE 20 retroactive. Any straight non-detergent SAE 20 (or ISO 68) should work fine.

When you get enough posts to have access (30 and promoted to ACTIVE MEMBER) or if you make a donation to the site, the Atlas/Craftsman/AA Category of DOWNLOADS contains a lot (currently 108 I think) of manuals, parts lists, drawings, catalogs & etc. on the Atlas or Atlas/Craftsman machines. Many of these that were found elsewhere have been cleaned, straightened and/or corrected and are easier to read than the source documents.

Ah, interesting, thanks for that info. Looks like I'll check out that oil you recommended from Enco.

And thanks for the manual/parts list tip, that's pretty cool.

The Enco site appears to be down at the moment. I'll look at it tomorrow or whenever they come back up.

DTE26 is what I have. Mobile has apparently slightly edited what they print on the jug since I bought it last. Cost has also gone up about $5.

Back