New to me: Craftsman 101.27440 lathe.

Just a FYI about the motor for my lathe.

As most of you know, I have been working on the AC motor that was on my lathe when I bought it. Cleaned it up and painted it over the past few days. Asked a bunch of questions about the motor and was worried that it might not work after everything I have done.

While, last night I finally got a very nice AC cord and connected it to the motor. Plugged in the motor and BAM, I'm only kidding, it ran smooth, almost like it was brand new, Ide say it purrs like a kitten!!! So all my worrying about the motor and it not being able to ever run again was for nothing, I'm happy to say!!!

Thank you everyone for all your helpful information.

Hello good members,

It's been a while since I posted on my progress with my Atlas Craftsman 27440 Lathe. But I have cleaned it up and painted it. So now I am ready to put it back together and I have a question to those that might know this. On the carriage cross feed, there is a Scroll (L6-38) and a Plunger (L6-265). The Plunger is what keeps the cross slide feed from going into gear when you have the leadscrew engaged. The Scroll is the part that engages the leadscrew when you push the handle down on the right of the apron.

What I need to know is, if you have ever looked at the Scroll on your Lathe? The reason I ask is that on my Lathe the Scroll is round and can not drop the Plunger down. Because of this the cross feed knob will not pull out to use the cross feed. What I need to know is if the Scroll on your Lathe has either a flat area or some type of hole. So that the Plunger can drop down and let you pull the cross feed knob.

If anyone might know what I am talking about. Please let me know it would be truly appreciate.

On some models the interlock was not present. Not sure but I think that the Craftsman's had it and the Atlas did not but not sure on that. There is a flat that is milled on the ones that have it. I purchased one off EBay once and it did not have the flat so I was able to cut it using my milling attachment. I will try and get you a picture of it later today. You can remove the plunger and use it that way until you either mill the slot or get a new one.

Hello Rob and thank you for getting back to me.

Yes if you could, please take a picture of the Scroll you have. I would like to see how the flat is milled on it. So I can do the same thing to my Scroll.

Ah yes. I can see what you are talking about with the flat. Thank you for providing the dimensions. I think I slap my Scroll on my mill and cut the flat.

Just make sure to get the rotation correct. That is the purpose to the last pic.

Yes Rob, I noticed the oration of the flat on the round part of the Scroll. Not sure if it would be better to just see if I can find one on ebay. Or try and cut the flat on the one I have.

Back