New to me: Craftsman 101.27440 lathe.

Not really looking for information on the motor. The motor has all the information on the name plate. What I am looking for is to see if there is any information on the internet about the motor. You would think in this day and age with the world wide web/internet. I would be able to find some sort of information about the motor I have.

But I have looked using International Metal Products (which is the name on the top of the name plate), then, Delco Products Div of General Motors Co. Adding the model number (A-9212), Serial number (D-56), Type (S P), then there is a (P: code), 6.1 amps, 1/3 HP, RPM 1725.

I just wanted to get a little more information about the motor and what it is used for. And being that it is made by one of the above manufacturers. I would have thought that there is at least some information about it on the internet. Or that maybe someone here might know something about this old motor.

I'm assuming that it was made back in the 40's or 50's. Because there is no information about a company called International Metal Products, except for a company that makes products specializing in precision metal stamping.

it was most likely produced for Delco under license.
1/3 hp general purpose motors are commonly used in fans, pumps, and conveyors.
look for oiling holes, that may be indicative of age too
a lot of early motors had oilers with spring loaded caps

I'll have to take some pictures of it so you can get a better idea of what I am talking about. But the motor does have a couple of holes on each side that look like they could be for oiling? For now I'm going to call it the mystery motor from hell. Because I can't find any information on it and right now it looks like hell. LoL

I took it off the mounting bracket, so I can clean it up a bit. But that is the kind of information I'm looking for, the oilers if that is what they are. Wiring is another issue I would like to know about. It is currently wired, but I need to replace the wiring because it is so old that it's starting to come apart. And I want to find out if I can wire it up with a forward and reverse switch.

With no information to go by, I don't know to mess anything up. And I really want to take it apart and check out just how dirty it is inside.

another indication of age is the insulation on the wires.
if it has what appears to be cloth insulation, there is not much you can do with the motor- it poses an electrical and fire hazzard
if the wiring is more modern, you may be able to replace sections up to the windings- but you may want to inspect the varnish on the windings and wiring
if it is brittle and coming off, that is another indication of a faulty motor.
if you can take a picture or 2 of the beast as it is wired, we may be able to wire up a directional control circuit for the motor.

if the motor is under power now you could run it without a belt and check performance by a quick plug in.

motors are not rocket science to disassemble.
discharge start/run capacitors, if equipped
remove the pulley from the shaft
mark the endcaps in relation to the center winding housing
remove the long endcap bolts
gently tap the endcaps off, being careful to be gentle on any wiring encountered
the rotor can then be removed from the winding housing
inspect and reverse operation to reassemble

Last edited:
Thank you Ulma Doctor / Mike,

You have been very helpful. I'm going to take my time and go over everything with this motor. Like I said before, it runs fine (nice and quiet) but I want to clean it up a bit. Before I put it back on the lathe because I am already working on cleaning up the lathe and I might as well clean it while I'm at it.

Funny thing is the motor for my Atlas horizontal milling machine. It has a Craftsman motor on it and I bought both of them from the same person who said that these machines came from a guy who was into gunsmithing.

Hello Mike,

Well, last night I decided to take apart the motor so I can start to clean it. I tried to blow it out with my air compressor, but that really didn't do anything. The inside of the motor is covered in old grease and saw dust and blowing in out just isn't going to do the job.

You are right about the motor having a couple of places to oil the bearings. There are 2 holes on the end caps (1each) that you can put oil in. And when I looked inside the end caps you can see what looks like felt that helps to distribute the oil over the bearings. And the bearings are not bearings but what look to be Oilite bushings in the end caps. Also, the motor is not a capacitor start motor, if that makes any difference?

Anyway, last night I started to clean up the end caps with mineral spirits. That worked pretty good for them, but how I want to clean the stator and windings. I'm not sure what kind of damage might result from using mineral spirits on the stator and the windings? I watched a couple of videos on YouTube about people rebuilding AC motors. But they don't show how they cleaned them before putting them back together.

Like I said before, I don't know much about these motors. And I don't want to do any damage to it by cleaning it up before I put it back on the lathe.

So what are your thoughts on how I should go about cleaning the motor?

Steve,

Mineral spirits, Varsol, Stoddard Solvent, etc. wont hurt the coils or armature. I'd wear surgical gloves, though, as it will dry your skin out by leaching the oils out of it. I would also make a sketch showing how it was connected and then remove the external wiring. Personally, being familiar with the insides of motors, I would remove the pulley and disassemble the motor. And probably replace the bearings or bushings, whichever it has. But if you've never had one apart, you might not want to make this one your maiden voyage. :tranquility:

Hello Mike,
You are right about the motor having a couple of places to oil the bearings. There are 2 holes on the end caps (1each) that you can put oil in. And when I looked inside the end caps you can see what looks like felt that helps to distribute the oil over the bearings. And the bearings are not bearings but what look to be Oilite bushings in the end caps. Also, the motor is not a capacitor start motor, if that makes any difference?
Like I said before, I don't know much about these motors. And I don't want to do any damage to it by cleaning it up before I put it back on the lathe.
So what are your thoughts on how I should go about cleaning the motor?

SAE 20 wt oil is recommended for the motor.
it was common for old motors to have bushings instead of roller bearings until the 50's
the capacitor start would include another assembly internal to the motor, a centrifugal start switch.
but since your motor is not equipped, that will mean a simpler disassemble for you!

turpentine, mineral spirits, kerosene, can be used to clean the motor and parts
use caution all 3 are flammable
you may wish to do the cleaning phase outdoors or in a very well ventilated space
use compressed air to dry thoroughly before reassembly

Back