New to me: Craftsman 101.27440 lathe.

Yeah, I was thinking about calling Clausing and see if they still had any leftovers of the keyed miter gear. There is a couple of them on eBay right now and from the pictures they look pretty good. But again they are asking about the same $$$ as Clausing. But for now I'm just going to put the carriage assembly back together. It's a nice option to have but how often do you use the cross slide feed anyways?

Right now I just want to get the lathe cleaned up. Once I'm done with all the cleaning and getting everything dialed in. I'll go back to the miter gear issue and deal with it. Because who knows what I will find that needs to be replaced!!! LoL
I actually found a set of half nuts for my 12 inch craftsman yesterday on amazon. I think it was coming from sears parts direct.

Clausing or Sears has some parts, but you need to be current on your blood pressure meds, AND sitting when you inquire:rolleyes:

Reactions: jcp
But for now I'm just going to put the carriage assembly back together. It's a nice option to have but how often do you use the cross slide feed anyways?

i use the crossfeeding feature constantly for facing operations.
you'll have a hard time matching the constant rate of the crossfeed in pertinence to surface finish.
all can be overcome in differing ways, but don't underestimate capability, my friend!
if you keep searching, you'll find parts or a donor machine.

Joel's ebay store has been down for a few months, but the last time I spoke with him, he made no mention of retirement. Does it seem I am running my post count up:cool:?

i use the crossfeeding feature constantly for facing operations.
you'll have a hard time matching the constant rate of the crossfeed in pertinence to surface finish.
all can be overcome in differing ways, but don't underestimate capability, my friend!
if you keep searching, you'll find parts or a donor machine.

Ulma Doctor,

You are correct that trying to match the constant rate of the crossfeed by hand to a good finish. Is some what impossible but can be done. I'm still looking for a miter gear for the crossfeed. But so far the only crossfeed miter gears I have seen for sale. The people selling them must think that they are made out of gold with the prices they are asking.

And most of the time you can't just buy the miter gear alone. They sell the whole assembly when I only need the one part. But I'll keep looking, sooner or later one will show up that doesn't cost a arm and a leg.

Clausing or Sears has some parts, but you need to be current on your blood pressure meds, AND sitting when you inquire:rolleyes:

I have found that Clausing's price on most items that I have purchased not that bad. I purchased new half nuts from them for about $35. That is about 1/2 what they run for used ones on EBay. Several other items are also cheaper or the same as EBay, others are a lot more. It pays to check there prices before purchasing items elsewhere. The parts from Clausing are also new and not used. Sears also carries new parts for your lathe but there prices are also more than what Clausing charges.

Well, here's a brain twister for you guys.

The motor on my lathe, I can't find out who made the damn thing. The name plate says "International Metal Products" model A-9212 and on the bottom of the name plate it says " Delco Products Div of General Motors Co. Ohio".

But for the life of me I can't find any information on this motor???

Might be a replacement. Is it working OK? Not knowing the HP rating isn't all that important as long as it works
Mark S.

Yeah, it works. But it's old and needs a good cleaning. It's rated at 1/3 hp with 1725 rpm so it should be fine for the lathe. I would just like to know a little more about the motor and can't seem to find any information on it.

Back