New to me Colchester student mk1.5 lathe

On turning the lead screw around to put the supposedly worn area near the headstock near the tailstock instead, that may or may not be practical. I do not know how the left and right ends of the Student's leadscrew are machined. But if it were an Atlas, it wouldn't really be practical unless the lead screw was off of a longer bed machine. As the left end is 5/8" diameter with a key way machined in it whereas the right end is turned down to 1/2" and threaded. So either difficult or impractical.

Not sure about turning the lead screw round but looking at my MK1 Triumph don’t think it would be practical.

I used to buy and sell these school lathes in numbers,and turning the leadscrew and making a new halfnut is the only way of restoring the threading capability......if you dont want threading,then just ignore the wear.

Unless I needed to thread a long way to make something like a lead screw for another machine, I would put new half nuts in it and live with the wear on the lead screw. If you are making threaded parts where the female part is a standard nut or the same size as, it won;t matter anyway.

Thinking about a DRO on my Student .. do you have some insights into the install on yours? Did you fit the crossslide scale in the front? Curious to hear from you .. thanks
Yes cross slide scale fit in the front. I attached a heavy duty cover to protest it. The lathe has been in use for 3 years now and the DRO works perfect even though it's a cheap Chines unit. Suspect you may see a picture of the cross slide in one of my photos. If not let me know and will send a photo to you

The Master that I was given a year or two ago ,has been machined?-cut away?-for a scale ,but at the back of the saddle......quite a bit cut out too......anyway ,job was never completed,as the owner died......But ,in front is quite an exposed position ,need to be very careful,and be well guarded.

Back