New to me Colchester student mk1.5 lathe

billd

Registered
Registered
Have been running a little 4- 1/2" South Bend lathe for the last year or so and really enjoyed it. Got the urge for something a little bit more capable .

The primary use I have for a lathe is building a 70's race replica motorcycle, will try and include a picture.

Because of my shed being in the back garden and difficult to transport the old lathe I had to dismantle it and take it in piece by piece. Not a bad thing really as it gave me the opportunity to get to know the new/old lathe.

Because of the disassembly I'm doing a bit of a rebuild. Sandblasted the cabinet, bed, and drive end cover, cleaning and repainting and replacing worn parts on reassembly. Installing a VFD drive and using the original 3hp drive motor. Was also able to get a Matrix clutch assembly for the lathe C/W all the control mechanism so taking the drive brake off and installing the clutch in its place on reassembly.

This form is new to me and a real asset for me as I'm no machinist but like equipment and enjoy the learning process. Will post updates as I go along.

All advise , comments, and suggestions welcomed.

IMG_0143.JPG

IMG_0823.JPG

IMG_0820.JPG

Hi, I also have one of these lathes took the easier route, maybe and shifted it in one piece just about the limit of my portable lifting gear at the time. I made a lifting plate that goes under the bed and uses a lifting hook to clamp it in place to provide a single lifting point.
Mine is fitted with a 4hp two speed motor 400v which I had the windings re-interconnected to provide a 230v three phase motor that runs on a VSD ie speed control and reverse.Quite an upgrade from my previous 1940's colchester.
Cheers and enjoy your machine.
John.

image.jpeg image.jpeg A couple of pictures from today, making a bit of progress. Have found the lead screw half nut badly worn so will try and source a replacement

Great thread Bill - well done! :applause 2: I also moved up to an MK1.5 from a Boxford Model A recently. Have cleaned it and got it running off a Transwave converter at 3 phase in my garage. I also got a couple of those Sunnex Machine Mounts - they are great!
Your machine looks great in the original green! :cool:

Roberto

image.jpeg Just a little update. Lathe is near completion, still a few things to do but ran it for the first time today. The little 3kw VFD has worked out brilliantly! What I'm most pleased about is the Matrix clutch I fitted on assembly The lathe did not have it originally . It took a bit to figure it out as the parts diagram does not tell you how to assemble it but once I got it it works perfectly. Once the 3hp motor is started there is no need to stop it just clutch out, change the gear selection and clutch in again. Have set max frequency to 75hz which works out to 1800 rpm of the chuck so the down side of the Student mk1 of only 1200 rpm has been negated. Really looking forward to using the lathe but am in desperate need of a lead screw half nut as the one I have is ready to fail and I'm relucktent to do any screw cutting with it. If anyone has a spare there willing to sell I would be greatly appreciative

IMG_0862.JPG IMG_0865.JPG Just finished off the lathe today. Added a cheap Chine's DRO that seems to work just fine! Cleaned out the coolant tank , coolant on order as of today. Wired the pump to the bottom selector switch next to the isolation switch and VFD, The upper selector switch is used to select 50 hz or 75 hz which gives the lathe a top chuck speed of 1800 RPM. Because I was not under any dead line to complete I actually enjoyed figuring out what the badly written Chines VFD manual was trying to explain. Very pleased with the outcome and will enjoy this lathe for years to come................................................Starting to think about a milling machine

Nice job there, billd! I've never seen a Colchester but have heard good things about them. It certainly looks heavy and rigid enough to do good work - thanks for sharing.

Thinking about a DRO on my Student .. do you have some insights into the install on yours? Did you fit the crossslide scale in the front? Curious to hear from you .. thanks

You will never find a used halfnut in usable condition......probably best to figure out how to make one.......The leadscrew will also need attention,cheapest way is to reverse it around,and use the unworn back face of the rear end .

Back