New To Me Atlas 3996 12 X 36 Lathe

Welcome! Im new to this forum as well. Looks like a great find! I was wondering if you could do me a favor. I have the same lathe as yours but craftsman branded . However on my motor there is only a one size pulley. Could you measure both steps of your motor pulley?

The standard motor pulley is part number 10-428 and the pitch diameters are 2" and 4.5".

Spiral_Chips

Well done! Great looking machine.

CHuck the grumpy old guy

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the site!

You got a great lathe there with many accessories (both steadies, two chucks, closer and collets, milling attachment, multiple tailstock chucks, and is that a ball-turner?)....congratulations!

Thanks for all the great pictures.
-brino

Well I fired her up today for the first time! Back gear works as it should but I can't seem to get it into direct drive. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to get the locking pin into place for direct drive. I really don't want to pull the entire head stock apart and find out that I was doing it the wrong way. I have no experience with the Atlas. My years at work were with a South bend and even that machine sometimes took a "special touch" to get it back to direct drive.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to get the locking pin into place for direct drive.

Hi Tim,

I have never done it on an Atlas specifically, but from looking at page 8 of the manual linked to in post 11 above by @Spiral_Chips, it look identical to a couple other lathes I have used.

Since there is only one hole position for the pin to slide into, you need to slowly rotate the pulley by hand while pressing on the pin until you find the hole.

-brino

The double spindle pulley on the 3996 has two holes 180 deg. apart. Either will work. Years ago, having spent time finding the hole in order to get it back into direct drive, I center punched the flat surface on the right end of the pulley in line with the pin in the bull gear once for the first hole I found and then twice for the second.

The double spindle pulley on the 3996 has two holes 180 deg. apart. Either will work. Years ago, having spent time finding the hole in order to get it back into direct drive, I center punched the flat surface on the right end of the pulley in line with the pin in the bull gear once for the first hole I found and then twice for the second.

I spent a couple of hours today and still have not found a place that the bull gear pin will lock into the drive pulley....So far I noticed the pin does have a flat ground into it. Does this flat need to be facing a certain way? I also see a small ball at the end of the pin. I figure that must be the actual lock up but none of the paperwork shows this small ball? Right now I a little frustrated.

Last edited:
Back