New to me and some VFD help needed

14617TKX

Registered
Registered
13" x 6 foot bed, I believe it has the hardened and ground ways. Just got it into the shop, trying to decide to put a 220V single phase motor on it or go the VFD route. Any way here is the pertinent info. It has a 2 HP 1725 RPM motor in it now and since Florida flicker and flash will not bring 3 phase to the house I am looking for some one to help guide me through the VFD route.

14617TKX Catalog # CLC145C Bed length 6'

In my lathes case the X for special probably means the fact is it has a 4 step drive pulley,,, maybe also it has a D-1 chuck. Photo's one of these days once I get the clutter undone!

Any one that wants to help/advise on a VFD please email me.

Thanks
John

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, do read thru the electrical section under the VFD heading. There are multiple postings and should that should give a good grasp of at least the basics.

Some quick general info -- A VFD is a really nice option over the rotarys & static converters, and the cost has become much easier to take (a 2hp version shud be in the $200 range, maybe less) The variable speed is the greatest thing since sliced bread!

While there are many brand names out there, there seem to be 2 that posters on the forums consistently go to - TECO & Hitachi. While a first time user can be a bit unsure about following the manuals (and taken as a whole are a bit overwhelming) but, in the end the hook up for a HSM'er is only a few steps and as Turbo says, with the help of the forum here, it should go smoothly.

Hello Ed and others,
I have printed all of the info I can find and been reading and going over it in my head as there seems to be conflicting info out there;

Size of VFD vs HP of motor, one thing I remember is somewhere it was said to get a VFD rated for two times the HP of the motor. In my case that would mean a 4 HP VFD for my lathes 2hp motor.

I would like to buy a VFD and at a later date hook up things more than the basic units three phase generation so I want one with the capabilities for all of the bells and whistles even though it may be a while till I get them hooked up.

I see braking being refered to, is this using the motor as a brake or activating a foot brake found on some engine lathes.

Any suggestions on brand and where to buy along with specials as they come up please feel free to advise.

G'Day
John

Apparently, at one time there was a factor in needing to increase the VFD rating over the HP, but of the dozens of post I've read on VFD installs they all just used the HP size. Only reason I can see to increase the VFD rating would be if, say, you had an existing 1hp motor and later would like to change to a 2hp.

If you get as far as getting the motor to run off the VFD, the the other "bells & whistles" would take maybe another 10 minutes. I can think of 3 just off hand -- Increasing the frequency you would like the motor to run at on top end - say from 60hertz to 75, or 90, or...(I have mine set at 75hertz) the other 2 are the time in seconds you would like the motor to accelerate and brake. The factory default is 10sec and that is way to long, seems most of us set both somewhere around 2sec - these are functions that you program the VFD to perform.

Hi , as Pacer commented,some,newer style VFD's do not require that you derate the size of the VFD if you are using it in a single phase to three phase application,however,you would probably be well served to research the specific drive you are thinking of using as to its particular requirements.I have installed drives that recommended a 3X derating factor and some that needed a 2X factor.It can get a little expensive if you have a 2hp motor and you need to put a 5hp drive on it. Most applications that will see lighter loads you can "fudge" on the low side,but if your going to do real heavy work alot you run the chance of overloading the drive,heat dissipation being the main problem. I have also run drives with a 1X factor,(a 2hp drive on a 1hp motor)but it was on a pump application that ran intermittently with no problems. Hope this helps some. Jim

Update --> New to me and some VFD help needed

Well here goes, after quite a bit of studying and some others thoughts from here and other places this morning I will be ordering a Hatachi X200-015NFU . I'l keep yall advised of my progress!

G'Day
John

That is one of the reasons I went with the Hitachi, as the manual is online and as I learned more about VFD's and was reading forty pages I printed of the Hitachi manual once I sorted out which model to get for my requirements. A call to the state rep for Hitachi who said for up to 5HP I shouldn't have to increase the size of VFD versus the motor HP size was one of the other reasons for my decision. It should be here on Thursday and hopefully between a off Friday and the weekend I should be able to get it hooked up and then I will know for sure. Will keep you folks aware of the progress.

G'Day
John

Well the VFD is in place and power is hooked up to it. However at this point I'm not exactly sure how to proceed. I'm aware that the drum switch that the line 1, 2, and 3 used to come into should not be in the circuit. The motor plate shows for low power (230Volts) 3&9 should be joined, 2&8 should be joined and 1&7, 6&5&4 should be joined and that is how it is. I'm missing how to control direction. The VFD is a Hitachi X-200 and they have the manual on Hitachi's web site. It's been a long time since I was schooled on three phase and I am probably forgetting a very basic thing. I have pictures that I can send to someone willing to help me sort this out or let me know what info is needed. I also have all of the Data off of the motor plate if needed.

G'Day
John

Back