New to Helicoils and need help

mzvarner

Registered
Registered
First, i hope I am posting this in the correct thread. i have not posted in a while.

Back story: A few weeks back i picked up a used 2005 Honda CRF 250R. I wanted to learn to ride, and learn about motors. Ultimately I was looking for, and found a project bike. However, It turns out the lower bolt of the oil filter cover is stripped, and I need to use a helicoil to repair it. The bolt threads are in great shape (ran it through a die to be sure) and measure M7 x 1.0. (but has a 7/16 head?, not metric? weird as all other bolt heads are either 8, 10, or 12 mm).

So looking for kits it seems m7 x 1.0 is an odd thread pitch, therefore expensive heli coil kit. Will a m6 x1.0 kit work (still expensive)? Should I stick with m7 x1? It is a bummer because there was a kit on amazon for $50 for 5 different sizes, but not including the m7 x 1.0. If I get just the 2 size kits i need its over $50.

Thanks

will he need a special tap for the helicoil and tool for installation. I have so far always used thread serts.

Yes it takes a special tap , also a insert tool . Although I have made the tool in a pinch you just grind half the face off of a bolt so that it locks on the tang . You also have to remove the tang I have munged that operation a few times .
I don't know why our friend is having problems finding this insert , should be at a auto parts store .

I am not having problems finding them. The issue is the cost. I literally only need 2 helicoils. Each kit is about $45, then I need to purchase the correct bit. The cost is the same at all local parts stores (Napa, Oreiley's, etc.). I was hoping to find a cheaper kit on line, or see if there is a comparable kit a size up or down or SAE. I am cheap, and have a hard time spending about $90 for 2 kits I can only see myself using at this moment. maybe thats just the price to play?

Why not make your own out of a larger bolt? If so I would suggest pipe thread for the OD with thread locker.
...***Just Saying>>>**G**

you could use a 1/4-20 or 1/4-28 helicoil for a bit cheaper

by the way, 7/16 and 11mm are close enough to be equal in socket size (7/16(.4375")= 11.17mm)

Last edited:
I second what ulma said.i often repair odd ball metric threads with standard helicoils.only down side is to remember it's now different.

Suggestion from metric part of the world:
M7 is indeed a odd size and hardly used anymore. If at all possible and you want to keep the bike all metric:
Drill and tap for m8, which is a standard size. I assume metric taps are available for a reasonable price, or you might even be able to borrow one for your two holes?

(M7 is a non preferred size, mainly used on older machines/tools. Unfortunately this also includes QC toolholders from multifix)
Peter

I am not having problems finding them. The issue is the cost. I literally only need 2 helicoils. Each kit is about $45, then I need to purchase the correct bit. The cost is the same at all local parts stores (Napa, Oreiley's, etc.). I was hoping to find a cheaper kit on line, or see if there is a comparable kit a size up or down or SAE. I am cheap, and have a hard time spending about $90 for 2 kits I can only see myself using at this moment. maybe thats just the price to play?

McMaster Carr has a kit with all tools included & 10 inserts for $53.99 #91732A950

Back