New Taig Lathe: Problems Adjusting The Carriage

shane77m

Registered
Registered
I am a new forum member and just bought a Taig lathe. I am having a problem getting it set up. I bought the kit version so I am having to lap the ways. I am having a problem with the carriage binding.

I can move the carriage to the middle of the bed and adjust the gib so that the carriage slides easily and there is no noticeable play. As I slide it towards the headstock end it gets harder to slide but as I move it away from the headstock end it gets easier to slide to the point of developing play.

When the carriage is at the end furthest from the headstock end I can adjust the gib to remove any noticeable play while allowing the carriage to slide but as I slide towards the headstock end it gets harder to slide. Sometimes to the point that it gets stuck and I have to loosen the gib screws.

To me it acts as if something is not parallel. Has anyone else had this problem? Does it sound like something is not lining up properly or maybe I am just adjusting the gib improperly? I have emailed Taig and the vendor that I purchased the lathe from asking them about it.

Well I think I have resolved the issue mostly. A rep from Taig said to lap it more on the tight side. I think that resolved it. Still hits a slight snug place but I can't detect any more slop in the carriage on the loose end. I guess I will know if it resolved it truly when I start using it.

Last edited:
Have a look at this article on lapping the Taig. This should be helpful.
www.cartertools.com/setup.html
Did you purchase your lathe from Nick Carter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought it from Soigeneris. He suggested I do the same thing that the Taig rep said which is lapping the tight end only. I spent a while just lapping the tight end and now I can adjust the gib and the carriage travels pretty smoothly along the usable length of the bed. I no longer notice any visible slop when it gets to the looser end.

Hopefully I will be able to do some turning on it this weekend. I should be able to tell then how my lapping job worked. If needed I guess I will lap it some more and if that doesn't work I will see about exchanging it. The extra lapping I done made a big difference. At least I am getting to practice my lapping skills. :cautious:

I hope it goes well. I have to say I love my Taig stuff. They are great little machines and you can make some amazing things with them. I must say I'm still pretty much a rookie compared to many folks you'll find here. But I'm hooked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back