New Student of the trade: First measuring devices

A lever would be 1000x better then what I got ahaha. But even that works just fine. But thats one tool I wish I would have bought a better quality to start.

Actually....the BS dial indicator isn't the best, or at least mine isn't. It's a 1" plunge .0005 reading indicator, reads nice and accurate (and I LOVE the half thou readout) but the plunger is real squeaky. I lubricated it with kerosene but no help. I opened the back and it's all enclosed. China ones are smoother and exposed in the back for lubrication.

And as far as dial indicators go anything with a decent name should work. Don't go cheap on those. A .001 should be fine for most stuff. Any more than that you're probably gonna be using a test indicator...at least I do for checking runout and such.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

A cheap set of Joe blocks, as said before, is very handy. You don't need anything expensive there yet. I have some starrert/Weber stuff I check every so often to make sure it hasn't move haha but it never comes out really.

Maybe a surface plate for layout work? Enco imports are pretty cheap with free shipping codes. Height gage to go with it would be a Starrett 254 or similar. Something with a knob and a leadscrew on the back so you can adjust quickly. Not a necessity but sooo much nicer than your regular height gage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Surface plates are nice to have, and if you know a guy with a surface grinder you can grind one out of steel easily. I have a piece of steel set aside for when my grinder comes in to make a small plate....(see signature)

Though I agree surface plates are very needed, he wont be able to carry one to school. What he needs is the basics to fill a decent little tool box. The school should provide SP and dykum and all that. If not he needs a good roller and some locks ahahaha

Don't know what people here think, but I've found good reviews on igaging tools.
Most of their stuff is digital, but not all. Fairly good pricing as well.
igaging store: http://www.igagingstore.com/?Click=7
I bought their 8" digital caliper when I ordered my Absolute DRO. I'd seen a video review on Youtube that compared it favorably with Mitotoyo.
I have an 8" Mitotoyo digital caliper as well. Looks, feel, funtionallity seem almost identical.
Great prices too.

I use igaging on my mill. They work as well as I could have ever hoped. Never seen their calipers.

Back