"New" South Bend Lathes- anyone bought one?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Here is a topic you can't discuss freely on thyat "other" forum:

Has anyone actually purchased a "new" South Bend lathe?

If so, how is it?

Thanks,

Nelson

I too was wondering about that lathe. Is it worth $5k?

Re:

pdentrem link=topic=2159.msg14009#msg14009 date=1305320642 said:
I too was wondering about that lathe. Is it worth $5k?

Considering that a Heavy 10 was going for about $7500 towards the end, I think the new lathes are probably priced pretty fairly. The problem is that, with Chinese lathes going for less, I think the home hobbyist types are more likely to buy a Harbor Freight or Grizzly-branded lathe for less, with the understanding that some modifications will be needed. Just my opinion, of course.

Best,

Nelson

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the look of it and for the size the price seems in line. Their larger machines indicate Allen-Bradley controls which i would prefer but not sure that applies to the "new" 10K. I would want to see one up close ideally. I think the fact that they are made in taiwan rather than the mainland is a plus too.

Bill

Re: "New" South Bend Lathes- anyone bought one?

I'm looking at a southbend 9x 4 1/2ft. Can you help me on how much it worth. The catalog number is CL644R.

Did they ever increase the spindle bore to take 5C collets? The price is to high for me but I'd still like one.

If so, how is it?

Thanks,

Nelson

I bought the little 8k and am quite happy with it. Very accurate and perfect size for my needs.

Now if I could just figure out how to put a 9a quick change gear box on it, it would be perfect. :)

If so, how is it?

Thanks,

Nelson

I'm guessing this is the "other" forum with the initials "PM". There was recently a thread there by someone who bought a new 10K. He gave it a gratifyingly extensive and objective review. And overall I'd say he was favorable.
David

Re:

Considering that a Heavy 10 was going for about $7500 towards the end, I think the new lathes are probably priced pretty fairly. The problem is that, with Chinese lathes going for less, I think the home hobbyist types are more likely to buy a Harbor Freight or Grizzly-branded lathe for less, with the understanding that some modifications will be needed. Just my opinion, of course.

Best,

Nelson
I was in The Grizzly Store in Springfield, Mo.
Just a week it to ago
I was in there to buy a horizontal bandsaw
And I took a look at the Southbend lathes
It really looked good I was wishing I could get one
The one I was looking at had a price tag for $10,000.
I think it was the heavy 10K
They was out of stock
They do have display on the floor

Last edited:
Back