New Shop

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
Got the Logan to it's new home, it's all put together but needs "Setup" Here's some pics of how to squeeze 3 pounds of crap in a 2 pound bag

new shop.JPG new shop (2).JPG

Charley, that's looking good; I don't see why that shouldn't work out well for you. I'm anxious to see it. The Burke mill really looks nice!
Bob

I have been thinking about converting a 53 foot refidgerated trailer into an extension on my current shop. My tool boxes, mill and lathe could go in there and stay relatively clean while I stir up metal dust from my plasma table. The reefer unit would allow for hot and cool and would help keep corrosion down due to the reefer drying the air in the container. The plan would be to spot it next to the existing shop and cut the tandems loose and remove the landing gear. I think a few 12 inch piers spaced along the frame rails would keep it out of the dirt and insure no water if we get a torential storm ( Hurricane>Florida=flooding). The reefer uses very little fuel and would only be run while I was working and when it needed to change the temp so it would be pretty economical. Big plans, just have to find the right deal on the trailer and get SWMBO to agree and allow it. Dont wanna "junk up" the yard and **** her off.
Bob

My new shop is small as well

It is just 12x9 feet but it is a combo of motorcycle storage and snowblower in the winter with the lathe on the long wall. All the wood working stuff is in the basement. I will move the drill press in with the lathe and tool cabinets once the cold weather allows me to finish the interior properly.

mini-shop.jpg View attachment 95132

Charley,
OK, you've had experience shoehorning 3 lbs. into a 2 lb. sack. What are your thoughts about putting it into a 1 3/4 lb. sack?

I plan to purchase a semi-trailer (8 1/2 wide, less than 50' long) and, after using it to haul my stuff from MA to WI, convert it into a shop. I have a Bridgeport, a Reid surface grinder, 2 lathes (but only the Southbend Model A will be installed), tooling for all this, various support pieces (ShopSmith, drill press, band saw, work bench, welder, hand tools, etc.) and supplies (nuts, bolts, wire, switches, junk, stuff, etc., etc.). Clearly, I would stagger the position of the machines along the walls so that standing in front of one wouldn't be hampered by the placement of another. And I would have to optimize the storage of the tooling and supplies - getting rid of redundant items.

Given that I currently operate in about 400 sq.ft. (and the trailer is ~ 400 sq.ft.) and given what you've observed in your situation, is a trailer shop a feasible option?

I could work out of one but would like a little more width. First thing you'll want to do is build a loft in the rear for some overhead storage. Any machines you can put on castors will be a great help for making more temorary room or stashing a machine out of the way that doesn't get a lot of use. Think Ikea.

When you headed to Wisconsin? And when you do would you have room for a small shaper?

Back