New SB9-c lift off... spin up success. Question on setting up to turn threads

jbmauser

Registered
Registered
Success and spin up of SB 9 C (1936?) After soaking it and the motor while other projects took center stage, I finally got the cylinder switch resembled and fired it up. I had the belt a bit to taught but all works well and it spun up with no scary noise.

I am surfing the net and mining my library for data on operation of the back gears and also methods of turning threads without the little wheel indicator as it seems you can. I don't have the indexing wheel attachment to cut gear teeth so I need to figure out a work around. Any links to data would be of interest.

Chuck still stuck. I am in no rush to remove it, still soaking it with solvent. JB

Thanks Jim B. I guess if you were cutting inside threads you would have to mount a dial indicator or such on the ways to know when to stop the forward motion move the tool to zero and reverse the motor?

I know you never run the tool back at the same depth but I always wanted to ask someone why. If the tool is cut with a rake would it not just slide back the way it came and slide over any small bit of metal that remained after the last cut? I know if you run the tool again at the same depth it will shave some more metal and I figured that is from backlash, springback and such? But if you did not adjust the tool and just reversed it that error may not appear. You can see why most people don't want my brain.... I question everything from every angle and I can follow instructions but I have to understand why. That is why it takes time to educate me. JB

Back