New Project. Chuck Back Plate.

You are correct, Xnerd, the back side doesn't need to be perfect. I made the "spacer" for mine because I also needed to cut the threads in the back plate. JR49
EDIT: just saw the 2 posts above, and made me think---We (the forum) should have a thread, or whatever where can discuss the meanings of lots of the commonly used words by machinist

Last edited:
That's a great idea Jr 49. It's always so frustrating working with subpar measuring tools I have Starrett indicators but my damn calipers are crap. So here I am taking 10000 at a time and I think I went a little heavy on the last 10,000 and it fits just perfectly but not quite as tightly as I wouldn't normally like to see. I can turn it with some effort. It will not move from side to side but I don't have to press it together I like to see it nug to the point we're either a small tap with a brass hammer or the hardware is needed to get the two halves mated.

When all is said and done it's a three jaw Chuck anyway. If I'm close to one or two thousandth run out I will be happy as a clam. I got so tired of just having a bunch of 4 jaw Chuck then I just had to break down and buy a 3 jaw. It'll be so nice to turn all the little piddly ass crap that doesn't need high tolerance without fiddling with an indicator.

I have got quite fast that indicating my work I have to admit. Which is nice but a little forethought with how you're going to turn something a 3 jaw Chuck is just nice to have.

I'm in the process of making a bunch of 10 millimeter by 1.5 millimeter transfer screws. In all their wisdom the manufacture decided that it needed 6 mounting screws. I'm tempted to just use 3 but I know I won't. I'll break down and use the other 3 as well it seems overkill for a 6 inch Chuck

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Colour me done.
The .007" run out was in the face of the backplate. Not sure how that came about but was promptly cut out with a light cut. The side and face run out are both .0005".
Done and done...
Now onto this grinder, and there's an er32 collet collar in the mail. When it arrives it'll be a collet barrel nut/chuck to get me started on providing some milling capabilities.

14832133629201834717125.jpg

Done .........
Thanks for all of the advice!
.00013 VERY HAPPY!
By the way I only used three of those bolt there's no way I'm putting 6 bolt holes in a 6 inch 3 jaw Chuck. 3 inches worth of thread is holding that on and it's fine

Done .........
Thanks for all of the advice!
.00013 VERY HAPPY!
By the way I only used three of those bolt there's no way I'm putting 6 bolt holes in a 6 inch 3 jaw Chuck. 3 inches worth of thread is holding that on and it's fine

One too many 0's there lol

I only see a single copy of your post.
I have only ever used Firefox on Win7 to view and post here........and it works great!
-brino

Colour me done.
The .007" run out was in the face of the backplate. Not sure how that came about but was promptly cut out with a light cut. The side and face run out are both .0005".
Done and done...
Now onto this grinder, and there's an er32 collet collar in the mail. When it arrives it'll be a collet barrel nut/chuck to get me started on providing some milling capabilities.

I honestly do not understand why I can't edit my post I have to reply to my own post to straighten everything out. I'm going to try and get Firefox for my tablet and see if it works that way I've tried everything else.

By the way I only used three of the six Mountain screws and all is well I don't understand why they wanted six mounting points on this little 6 inch Chuck. I have an 8 inch Chuck that only has three positions as well. This thing is solid as it gets if anybody has any reason why they should for 3 more holes in this thing please let me know

Back