New Poster, Want a Mill

JoinerCP

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a mill for a combination of wood and metal working. The glowing reviews about PM is making me lean in that direction. I need a decent capacity and ideally RPMs at least around the 4k range. I was looking at the 833 and 940 but neither appear to meet the speed requirement.

I took a half semester machining course where we did a little bit of milling but the lessons have atrophied since then (about 18 months ago). I will cut my teeth on this mill (not literally).

Can anyone make suggestions?

You need to google "spindle speed multiplier" for an attachment to give you the RPM you want. Most solutions use a NMTB-40 or NMTB-50 taper. Yuasa™ used to make an R-8 model, but I think that was discontinued. So, you may have to buy a spindle design accordingly....

You need to google "spindle speed multiplier" for an attachment to give you the RPM you want. Most solutions use a NMTB-40 or NMTB-50 taper. Yuasa™ used to make an R-8 model, but I think that was discontinued. So, you may have to buy a spindle design accordingly....

You're saying the only way to get to 4k+ speeds is to add a speeder/speed multiplier? I would've certainly thought anything with Abec 5 or 7 bearings would be able to hit the 4-5k range without issue (assuming the motor was up to the task). I'd still like to use regular R-8 tooling, face mills, etc and not be relegated to 1/2, 1/4, 1/8" shanks. Wouldn't a speeder limit the tooling that can be used? I'm new to this so my apologies if I'm off base.

Does PM not carry a mill to meet these needs?

For higher speeds, Id recommend a mill like our PM-935T Series, those spindles will handle 4000-5000 RPM without a problem. But in wood, routers and things are a lot faster than that, I believe normally around 20,000 RPM. Although, over the years, I have cut many pieces of wood with a nice sharp end mill in the couple thousand RPM Range, and it worked fine. I was surprised how well it worked, so much better than any woodworking tool Ive ever used. Not saying thats the right way to do it, but thats been my experience. I think even at 2000 RPM, it will cut wood faster than you can crank the table by hand or with a power feed.
Not saying a profile cutting router bit will cut that well at a slow speed like that, Ive only ever used end mills, but they worked much better than I would have expected, even at the slower speeds.

Does anyone else do it? Maybe some other comments from those who have?

I do slot cutting (mortising) on my benchtop mill at 3000 RPM in hardwoods, and it works great. Not so good in softwoods like pine, fir, cedar - those species need higher RPM. I have also successfully done round-over profiles, but would not attempt anything like a cope and stick cutter profile.

FWIW, I have used my 935 to inlet a few gun stocks without a problem. I just work slowly & don't take much off. Don't own much woodworking tooling, so I'm like Matt & use end mills :rolleyes:
Mark

You're saying the only way to get to 4k+ speeds is to add a speeder/speed multiplier? I would've certainly thought anything with Abec 5 or 7 bearings would be able to hit the 4-5k range without issue (assuming the motor was up to the task). I'd still like to use regular R-8 tooling, face mills, etc and not be relegated to 1/2, 1/4, 1/8" shanks. Wouldn't a speeder limit the tooling that can be used? I'm new to this so my apologies if I'm off base.

Does PM not carry a mill to meet these needs?

It isn't the bearings as much as it is the design parameters (intended use) of the machine. I don't know of any mills made to do woodworking and metalworking.... and screaming spindle speeds aren't necessary for milling metal.

Most woodworkers just don't have the need for x-y-z tables or feed screws and can get the requisite accuracy with a woodworking machine. There are some "milling machines" made for wood, but they are more like (wood) shapers on steroids.

I know at least 10 woodworkers who have Tormach 1100's to do precision joinery on a milling machine. The needs is out there and there are machines mills that work well at it.

Back