New Pm1440gs coming soon to nj

Well, she arrived around 3:30pm tonite by ups. The driver was awesome, he helped me pull her into the garage. He seemed amazed by the machines I had there, at that anything like them could weight so much
20170727_164729.jpg
20170727_164729.jpg
20170727_164729.jpg
20170727_164729.jpg
20170727_164729.jpg
20170727_164714.jpg

20170727_164529.jpg

20170727_164941.jpg

20170727_164602.jpg

I'm done for the day, she is all uncrated and moved (mostly manual labor) to her spot in the shop. These are heavy machines.
I've been thru the machine, nothing too extensive yet. Found a couple niggles to correct. Toolpost nut had to be shaved. Now the toolpost is rock solid.
Another small issue one of the bolts that hold the gear/spider cover was too shot and approximately 1/2" to the left. I think I can come up with a fix. I'll do that tomorrow, clean her up... oh wait... I promised the girl friend dinner. I guess I'll be working on this Saturday.

Rich

Put her in her corner. Spent yesterday playing around with a couple niggles. Adjustments, oil, than other shop stuff.
Today was planning to fire her up make some feet for her, than a couple small items for other projects around the shop.
Plugged her up, light on front panel lit up, led light went on... Nothing else, I could not get the machine to spin.
Installed the dro, left a message with pm, hopefully they get back soon. I guess I'm waiting on the sidelines again till I get an answer from them.
On a positive note pm sent a 3 axis controller with the lathe, so down the road I can put another scale on the cross slide...

I'm bored, not much else to do till I get some input from pm.

Thanks for listening
Rich
20170730_164658.jpg

Hopefully the non-running is a minor thing. I've been reading the 1236 manual hopping I'll see it in person soon. But, its "only been" 5 weeks for me.

Machine is running pretty good right now. Fixed up the switch this morning. Been hunting around with things for the machine. Found some hardened bolts to make adjustable feet from. Spray bottles from home depot. Orange pumice hand soap. Rubber sheets to cover the ways during operation.

Plan to get her leveled and adjusted this weekend.

Rich

For anyone looking at this thread for info about this machine, either you already have it and need supplement to the pm manual, or you want a more detailed description of what the lathe does for a pre purchase evulation, the grizzly g709 manual is pretty good. Pm's manual really does not describe all the feed options and settings, the grizzly may not be 1 for 1, but you get an idea on what all the knobs are there to do.

That g709 is a mighty fine looking machine too.

Rich

20170810_144743.jpg
Thanks Matt, I have the pdf.

Played around with adjusting the bed today. Used a grizzly 8" level to adjust the head, than the tail. Went back and forth for about an hour before I got both of them close. Made a test cut on a 14" piece of 1 1/2" stock. Came out to within 2 thousandths over 10". Headstock side 1.470 and the tailstock side 1.468.
I definitely want it closer than that, but I want the machine to settle in for at least a couple days, than I'll do it again.

Thanks for listening.
Rich

Last edited:
Back