New Pm-935 Coming Soon!

IIRC, 5" vises have 5/8" handle shafts.

You are correct.
Funny you can fairly easily find handles for 3/4" and not 5/8". Seems to me that there are quite a few 5" vises being used.

Seems like there's a market for aluminum 5/8 speed handles. I don't see any reason one couldn't make them with a manual mill, granted milling that hex would be a PITA.

I have a CNC and am quite good with CAD/CAM, it wouldn't be much trouble to design something in CAD and process some g-code programs.

I'm wondering what a 6061 5/8 speed handles would sell for? I'm not set up for anodizing, but can definitely leave them in the white, or use molycoat/cerakote.

Without doing any math, i'd think an aluminum 5/8 socket not able to handle the torque being used for a vice handle.

Guys that have them, is this not an issue?

In terms of a homemade speed handle, what if you just bored a hole that would make
a nice tight press-fit with a 5/8" socket? Maybe even heating the bar and cooling the socket?
It's possible it might slip though. Not speaking from personal experience, just a "what if?"

Otherwise I have seen people create hex holes manually by drilling out the 6 corners
with a small drill, drilling out the center to remove most of the material and then
straightening out the sides with a file. I haven't tried this myself, but it could make for
a nice afternoon or weekend project. You could probably trace around a 5/8" nut to get
the rough layout lines...

I wasn't thinking in terms of making a homemade speed handle for myself, I was thinking more about making a short run to put on eBay, to gauge interest.

I'll model something in CAD and post up a rendering for critique shortly.

Sorry Ken, I wasn't specifically responding to your post. I think it was Alan H who was looking
for one?

I was just saying it didn't seem like a speed handle would be that hard to do manually. I think you
could make one without too much trouble with a drill press and a file...

No prob, sometimes the nuances of speech are lost in text.

Heres a 5/8 speed handle I modeled in cad. 6" long, 1.25 wide and .75 deep. I think I got a couple pieces of stock the right size to make one. Ill turn the handle on the lathe and use a shoulder screw to mount it.

SpeedHandle_zpsjwxjv0nz.jpg

Here's a version 2.0. I changed the dimensions to allow the use of more common 1 x 5/8 aluminum stock, and to be more manual mill friendly. Also rendered in a lighter color, the last image was too dark.

Every operation on this one can be done on a manual mill / rotary table, including the chamfers, albeit with a lot of math and setup involved.

I'll see about prototyping one Monday. I may have some stock in that size laying around.

2.0%20Rendering_zpsx8fprsyz.jpg

I have my 6" D688 Kurt setup with my ram in such a position that I can mill against the fixed jaw or ALL THE WAY at the end of the fully open moveable jaw by moving the Y axis across its full travel.

Considering this fact, I think it's pretty conclusive that there is ZERO reason to purchase a 5" vise for these machines. I know some people don't want to hear that, but it's true.

Back