New Pm-935 Coming Soon!

Ken226

Registered
Registered
After researching milling machines for awhile, and due in no small part to the reviews posted here I put a deposit down on a new PM-935 mill from Matt's next shipment.

Matt was very helpful and courteous, and did his best to convince me that the PM-935 was the way to go, as opposed to the Jet of similar size I had in mind.

Any advice from owners of this machine is welcome. How's the rigidity compared to the machine I sold to finance this one (a KBC 7x31, same as the grizzly G0730)?

Is it safe to lift using the lifting eye or should I use a cargo straps under the ram?

the lifting eye is safe to lift with, but it will be front heavy wanting to lean forward. Congratulations on the purchase of a great machine. I love mine.

Rick

PC205425.JPG
Great call. It comes well pack in a large crate. Have some friends around to help.

Keep the head tucked down and lift from the front with a couple of tag lines to control the tilt.
IMG_20161218_151115.jpg

Thanks for the advice, will do!

Only 6-11 weeks to wait. I'll have to rent a flatbed trailer to back it into the shop. My enclosed trailer won't clear the 7' rollup door and the hoist casters will sink into the gravel drive if I try to lift it outside.

Congrats Ken.
respect-048.gif
I'm officially jealous...
drooling-7.gif

Now comes the hard part.
mail-296.gif

I ordered the single phase step pulley version. I'd considered getting a 3phase version and adding a VFD but changing speeds via the step pulleys seems easy enough that I'll hold out for awhile.

I decided that if/when I decide to go variable speed, I wanna go with a DC shunt motor and use a closed loop speed controller. For now, I'll stick with the step pulleys

This will make a perfect edition to my shop. The color is a close match to my Birmingham 1340 lathe and G0704 CNC mill.

You guys are making the wait even harder with those pics. Those things sure are pretty. Monkman, that's the same engine hoist I have. Good to know it'll lift the mill.

Do you find the height of the mill to be about right. Some seem to be fabbing bases to get it a little taller?

Really nice job on the control box.

Can you show some close ups of how you mounted it?

Where and how did you mount the sensor for the tachometer?

the lifting eye is safe to lift with, but it will be front heavy wanting to lean forward. Congratulations on the purchase of a great machine. I love mine.

Rick
When I lifted my PM935 I moved the table as close to the back as possible and pulled the ram out to the max forward position. When I lifted by the eye hook it was almost perfectly balanced.

Back