New PM-932 seems too low to me.

38Bill

Registered
Registered
I'm enjoying my new mill except that I find it sits too low on the std PM stand. I am not a tall person but I have to hunch over to see what I'm milling. I believe I want more height than a simple rolling base would provide. I was thinking of welding up something or even casting a concrete pad that the mill would sit on. Anybody else have this problem? Any suggestions for height? Thanks.

If there are holes in the base, buy or build some feet to go under it. Both my lathe and my mill are raised several inches that way. Short term or quick and dirty, put some 4x4's under it...

Edit: I would not cast a concrete pad under it. Machines have a way of needing to be moved around occasionally, and shops get reorganized, often due to new or replaced machines. Leave as many options open as possible for future changes.

I wouldn't cast a pad under it. I would cast the pad first and then place it under the mill. There are counter top mixes that are fiber reinforced, high strength and made for casting. Should be easy to make it level and it sure would look better than some timbers.

Just as a guide.
Without planning the table of my PM25 (I know, the 932 is a larger machine) was installed on a used countertop, the work table of the mill is 44.5 inches from the floor. It is ideal for a work height. (I'm 5'10"). it could be a little higher, but is really convenient this high. I spent my working life with tables a lot lower, not realizing how much I was bending over to see the work.

I had the same concern with the Grizzly G0755 mill.
These are the risers that I used.
They are 7.25" overall height. Made up from 5X5X1/2" Square tube and 6X1/2" Flat bar.
I then use the hockey puck and steel centre plate for leveling and shock absorption.
Much more comfortable to work at now.

IMG_0006.JPG IMG_0007.JPG IMG_0008.JPG

Just as a guide.
Without planning the table of my PM25 (I know, the 932 is a larger machine) was installed on a used countertop, the work table of the mill is 44.5 inches from the floor. It is ideal for a work height. (I'm 5'10"). it could be a little higher, but is really convenient this high. I spent my working life with tables a lot lower, not realizing how much I was bending over to see the work.

Thanks for the info, I'm 5'-9" and the table is only 35" off the floor. A couple of timers I have sat down while working but that puts my face in the firing line if anything goes bad.

I had the same concern with the Grizzly G0755 mill.
These are the risers that I used.
They are 7.25" overall height. Made up from 5X5X1/2" Square tube and 6X1/2" Flat bar.
I then use the hockey puck and steel centre plate for leveling and shock absorption.
Much more comfortable to work at now.

That looks like a clean way to do it. Did you have any issues with the bottom plates rocking on the floor?

No, when I built the house, the garage floor was troweled to a polished finish so it is very flat, but I was concerned with slipping of the steel on the epoxy/concrete so I put a layer of 1/8" 70 durometer rubber (like firm gasket material) on the bottom surface of each.

I fabricated a riser for my PM935TV approx. 8" off the ground and it is now perfect for me. I am 6'2" and my son is 6'4" and both of us find it comfortable. I believe you have the PM932 with the case base, which is pretty much the same machine as its predecessor, the PM45. Will, aka Darkzero, has a thread on his machine where he also fabricated a riser, here is a link to Will's thread for reference.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/my-pm45m-pdf.9885/

Mike.

I'm 6' even, and the top of my 940's table is 41.5" off the floor. That's 6.75" higher than stock thanks to the base I made. I should probably jack it up another inch and a half or so, but I've been putting it off because I don't want to re level the thing.

Back