New Pm-25mv

Yes, my z-drive is "wider" but not enough to get in the way of the DRO. I thought direct drive would be a little simpler. I put the switch in a box that sits near the base of the mill so I don't have to reach up/back at all.

I'm planning to direct drive the x-axis as well. The design will be similar to what mrpragmaticlee did on his mini mill power feed. In this case the shaft will slide through the motor drive instead of along the motor drive shaft. The only concern is that the shaft is 4mm square - would like a little more meat. I believe the motor was intended for power seats so if it works there then it ought to drive the table.

Yes if you have the room, direct drive is simple. I also thought of using direct drive using a 5/8" lovejoy connector 075 with rubber spider (it has keyway cut into the connector shafts to match Z crank shaft) . But the gear drive seemed like more of a challenge and I went back and forth with Jim about his setup and gears.

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/members/mrjbinok.41861/

I will have the switch monitor box down near the base of the mill, with a lighted pre-switch that needs to be hit before the Z motor will activate to remind me to unlock the Z gibb locks...

Again, my unit is set near a door so I don't have all the space to the left of the table, - and it was a bugger to hoist the mill onto the bench so it ain't moving in my lifetime....

Back