New PM 1236 on its way!

Tripletap,

Just so you know, Matt (or anyone else in his shoes) has very little control over the last leg of the journey for local home delivery. He pays a trucking company to pick up the machines at his place and send them to the local freight carrier in the home town of the customer. Often times, the product could be picked-up by other carriers along the way as there are transportation brokers involved. His transporter quotes him a price for local delivery, pays it and has little control over who actually carries it. In most cases, the local freight carrier farms local delivery out to someone else. Of course, folks have the option of arranging their own transportation. Back when I was rebuilding diesel generators, I arranged my own liftgate delivery -and I was paying upward of 550 bucks per ton and that was 10 years ago.

You could go with Fedex or UPS. Last month I had $700 of metal delivered UPS liftgate (non express), it cost me 275 to get it here and we're only talking about 300 lbs of material.

Ray

In my previous life I had the misfortune of dealing with trucking companies on a daily basis. Long story short it took me longer on the phone to fix the trucking company's mistakes than it took to sell the item. I was however very surprised and happy with the company that delivered my 1236. They were right on time, the driver was very helpful, patient and looked professional. I did call Matt and let him know how pleased I was with the trucking company as that is feed back that will help him choose a trucking company in the future.

I drive for an LTL company, and I can relate with all of yall. We drivers are the one who receive the grief when a dispatcher lies! I havent got to deliver a lathe yet but when I do you can belive that I will do the best job possible. Can you let us know what trucking companys do good and wich dont?

Last edited:
I agree Ray. That was what I was trying to get across in my post and I guess It didn't come across all the way. In my experience Matt does have the option of what companies to use and some have better reps than others. Of course not all companies service all areas and to further complicate things companies have partnerships with other companies to complete the transfer. Matt or any other shipper never gets to see how the end product is delivered unless there is a problem. Letting Matt know that you had a good experience helps him know that a particular company is dependable. Sometimes all you hear is the bad stuff and not the good.

How about some pictures Bob and Tyler?

Gary

Tyler:
Looks like they all lie. I was told that the truck was broke down in a town about 40 miles from me but when I checked the trucking co's website it said it was returned. It did come yesterday about 4:30 and the driver told me the truck didn't breakdown. He got stuck in my yard and couldn't back up to my shop door so we tried to take the lathe off with an engine crane. Got it in the shop where I wanted to put it and lifted it onto the bases this morning, hooked it up to electric and it runs. Now I have to put the rest of the base together and the DRO on it. I've been doing some cleaning but still have to do more this afternoon.

Hope you get yours together soon::))

Bob

I'll get some pix posted soon. I have it almost together and running. No major problems I can see this far. A few minor cosmetic ones. I am having trouble getting the clamp on the brake to hold on the peddle shaft and I am unclear how to hook up the wiring on the coolant pump.
I have done the break-in as suggested and it seems to be working well. I have it mounted on 4x6's for now as it's not tall enough for my liking. Haven't leveled it yet as I don't have a precision level. Just carpenter levels and the ones in my phone and tablet. I did lay my phone on the cross slide and run it the length of the was and it was consistent.

Any suggestions appreciated:

Bob

Glad you're finally making some headway.

Suggestion: Read this thread http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...he-and-2-collar-test?highlight=leveling+lathe
and another one called YALB Yet Another Lathe Bench http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/10957-YALB-(Yet-Another-Lathe-Bench)?highlight=YALB

Ray

I'll get some pix posted soon. I have it almost together and running. No major problems I can see this far. A few minor cosmetic ones. I am having trouble getting the clamp on the brake to hold on the peddle shaft and I am unclear how to hook up the wiring on the coolant pump.
I have done the break-in as suggested and it seems to be working well. I have it mounted on 4x6's for now as it's not tall enough for my liking. Haven't leveled it yet as I don't have a precision level. Just carpenter levels and the ones in my phone and tablet. I did lay my phone on the cross slide and run it the length of the was and it was consistent.

Bob

Bob

Hey Bob, sounds like you are making some progress.What I did on my brake was to get the pedal level slide the trunnion (with the 4 screws) so that it is roughly center of the two shafts and tighten the screws good and tight and it should hold fine.

When wiring your pump on mine the green was ground the other two wires can be wired to either color.
I put conduit tapping fluid in mine (which I do not recommend) because it is to thick for my pump to pump.

Now I went through my whole lathe when cleaning, PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS UNLESS YOU ARE 100% SURE THAT YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.I just was very comfortable doing this because I have rebuilt several transmissions. I think that my lathe was built during the dust bowl and stored in a hole in the desert lol.I have never seen so much dirt inside of a precision machine.I am in know way knocking this machine it is a great machine and not just because I have one. But you do need to clean and change the oil to get this dirt and metal out.

Now I'm just curious no offense but is RAY C actually Matt J ?
:thinking: :roflmao:

Funny. I think Matt just has a huge fan base. After you get to talk to him you can see why.

Mine should arrive tuesday, and when they emailed me the name and tracking number I googled to find their site. One of the first hits was a yelp page just screaming bloody murder about how bad that particular company is! :scared:
but, that was also for the California business and Matt ships from PA. I'm more worried about the possible yahoo that handles the residential part though. Crossing fingers and toes.

No guys, Ray C is not actually Matt N. I've known Matt for a few years now and it turns-out we have some common business associates. Some of the marinas I do jobs for also have some of his equipment. Truth be known, I've never met him personally but we BS a lot on the phone and email... He's a very decent guy and puts his customers before himself or his interests. -Pretty rare breed these days.

Ray

Back