New PM 1236 on its way!

When I moved my lathe, I took my extension ladder and separated it, laid one section on the basement steps set a piece of plywood on it to act as a skid set the lathe on the plywood, tied the come along (winch) to the lathe, and the other end to a 4x4 that spanned the door outside. Taking my time I was able to take a 12 inch lathe out of the basement by myself. Of course why this was going on my wife wore out a set of rosary beads.
:thumbsup:
P. S. The ladder to spread out the weight and keep the steps from collapsing

The PM 1236 I ordered the end of Feb is on its way. Supposed to be 3 business days away. Should be here Tuesday. Any help or advise will be appreciated.

Bob
Not yet. They called about 4:30 & the truck broke down. Said tommorow or monday. I told them tommorow or iwill pick it up.
Bob

Not yet. They called about 4:30 & the truck broke down. Said tommorow or monday. I told them tommorow or iwill pick it up.
Bob

Sounds like Larry, Curly and Moe are on the job!

Gary

Bob it seems that you are having the same issues that I had it took me three extra days of calling to finally get it delivered and then it showed up in a pick up truck.I'm just thankful that I had the equipment to unload it let me tell you it is heavy. all in all it was well worth the trouble. So far I am very pleased with the machine.

I put a dial on the spindle and to my surprise it was with in a half thousand that is awesome.

J.B

The PM 1236 I ordered the end of Feb is on its way. Supposed to be 3 business days away. Should be here Tuesday. Any help or advise will be appreciated.

Bob

Finally got here. Not without problems. More details later. I've got to rest.

Bob

When I got mine, it had no flaws of any sort really and it's seen daily use for the last year and is still in perfect shape. Just folk know, the backplates need to be fitted and are likely undersized a little. They're not fitted at the factory as the cost for that is quite high and it's one way of keeping the price in line. If memory serves, the 8" chuck and it's plate come in 2 pieces. When a backplate is undersized, it won't mount repeatably and is pretty hard to get on/off. Other than that, that unit is good to go once it's cleaned and lubed.

And remember to do a break in and change the oils after about a few weeks of use. In the PM forum here, there's a 1236 FAQ and I put together a manual that should be helpful. Feel free to post or PM if you need help.

Ray

Bob it seems that you are having the same issues that I had it took me three extra days of calling to finally get it delivered and then it showed up in a pick up truck.I'm just thankful that I had the equipment to unload it let me tell you it is heavy. all in all it was well worth the trouble. So far I am very pleased with the machine.

I put a dial on the spindle and to my surprise it was with in a half thousand that is awesome.

J.B

I just took delivery of a PM1236 myself. I finally got it last Saturday, after a serious of events that sound similar to experiences on this thread.

It was supposed to be delivered last Thursday, so I called in the morning to get an ETA so I could schedule my lunch break accordingly. I was told it didn't make it on the only lift gate truck that morning. Dang! So we arranged for the next day. I called in the afternoon the next day (Friday) and the guy told me they didn't HAVE a lift gate. What?! He said it had been in the shop for over a week, and he didn't know when it would be out, they were waiting for a part. That was irritating to hear because the day before the guy apparently lied to me. Now it was too late on Friday to switch to another carrier and get it before the weekend.

So I went into scramble and adapt mode, and I drove home because my wife told me they were clearing a lot across the street with a bulldozer. I waived those guys down, and asked if they had forks for their machine. They did at home, and had to work tomorrow morning (Saturday). I called the trucking company and the guy who was taking all my calls very graciously agreed to deliver it on Saturday even though they were closed. (These issues were not his fault, and he was great.)

Saturday morning comes, and my lathe shows up on the guy's personal pick up truck. The dozen operator picks it out clean as a whistle. I give him the $45 lift gate fee since he was the lift gate, and then go look at my lathe.

Uh oh, fork holes in almost every side of the crate, right next to the signs that say, "Don't push crate with forks!" Sheesh. The damage isn't too bad. Chip pan is bent badly, and a few spindle speed knobs are bent. The rest looks fine.

Unfortunately it's still on the floor of my garage while I wait for the new chip pan.

Can't wait to get her running!

In other news, Matt and Nichole have been great at getting me squared away with the damaged pieces.

Tyler

Last edited:
Tyler:
Looks like they all lie. I was told that the truck was broke down in a town about 40 miles from me but when I checked the trucking co's website it said it was returned. It did come yesterday about 4:30 and the driver told me the truck didn't breakdown. He got stuck in my yard and couldn't back up to my shop door so we tried to take the lathe off with an engine crane. Got it in the shop where I wanted to put it and lifted it onto the bases this morning, hooked it up to electric and it runs. Now I have to put the rest of the base together and the DRO on it. I've been doing some cleaning but still have to do more this afternoon.

Hope you get yours together soon::))

Bob

In my previous life I had the misfortune of dealing with trucking companies on a daily basis. Long story short it took me longer on the phone to fix the trucking company's mistakes than it took to sell the item. I was however very surprised and happy with the company that delivered my 1236. They were right on time, the driver was very helpful, patient and looked professional. I did call Matt and let him know how pleased I was with the trucking company as that is feed back that will help him choose a trucking company in the future.

Back