New Pm 1030v Lathe

Anyone interested in seeing a bit of what this machine is capable of, you can have a look at the build thread I have going on silencertalk.

Link: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137116

I believe Matt and I have the oil leaking trouble resolved, I dont anticipate much trouble from here on out. Future changes will probably include flood coolant, a DRO for the apron and cross slide, leveling, and a collet chuck.

Projects on this machine will include chamber reamers which will really push the limits of the precision it is capable of, barrel work, more muzzle brakes, a .45 ACP suppressor with booster, and at some point, a scratch made bolt action reciever.

I am designing a chess set that will need to have production considerations to make 32 parts consistently. It will be a christmas present for my dad who has made all this possible. He gave me half of the garage, helped me design and build the bench, let me use his car and trailer to pick up materials and the machine itself, helped pay for the actual machine, helped move it, he even wired up an old TV in the garage and found me a heater for working in the winter. Needless to say, I couldnt possibly give him enough thank you's and I hope this present will put a dent in that debt of gratitude.

Last edited:
Wow, that was some beautiful craftsmanship in your posts. I can't wait to see the finished brake now. I should probably take some lessons from you on your brake project. I have a 300 win mag that is a cheap rifle but with no brake it does beat a guy up if you shoot it too much.

As for your dad I think you and I are in the same boat. My dad gave me the shirt off his back growing up and I owe him a whole lot. But now that I am a dad myself I can see where he gets the love... passing the love my parents gave to me on down to my son is the best way I know to show my appreciation to them for all they did and gave up for me. ;) But for now let your parents know how much you appreciate them and that is the best thank you any parent can ever get.

Wow, that was some beautiful craftsmanship in your posts. I can't wait to see the finished brake now. I should probably take some lessons from you on your brake project. I have a 300 win mag that is a cheap rifle but with no brake it does beat a guy up if you shoot it too much.

As for your dad I think you and I are in the same boat. My dad gave me the shirt off his back growing up and I owe him a whole lot. But now that I am a dad myself I can see where he gets the love... passing the love my parents gave to me on down to my son is the best way I know to show my appreciation to them for all they did and gave up for me. ;) But for now let your parents know how much you appreciate them and that is the best thank you any parent can ever get.

I appreciate that. I got the can finished a few weeks ago and tested it out. It works very well and I am very pleased. My buddy shot it and wants one now too but he doesn't have the machining bug.

I try to tell my parents that I appreciate everything they do, but emotions are hard. If I tried to count the number of times they went above and beyond for me, I would be here all day.

I was having trouble with the chuck binding up so I took it apart and gave it a good cleaning. Figured I would take some pictures of the innards. The machining is pretty rough and there were lots of burrs. I stoned the ones I could reach and ever so lightly filed the ones off that my stones couldn't get to.

In pieces
pmxWZr9.jpg

Back door
jBvfLuJ.jpg

Some kind of gear whos name I do not know
5jSl6c5.jpg

Tried to get some of the burrs in this shot
gqg2HtR.jpg

Some of the rough machining
KX5XIVB.jpg

A little bit more
OkaX7nD.jpg

I started working on the chess set for Christmas for my dad. So far I have the rooks and pawns designed and 3 of the 4 rooks finished. I am going to make a small ball turning tool to make the heads of the pawns. I tried to make a form tool for it but it ended up not going so well. I certainly enjoy the extra horsepower and rigidity of this lathe compared to my hold harbor freight when I am roughing off stock. I made some T nuts and blocks so I can set the compound quickly for turning some of these body features. Ill try to get a picture of that later. When I was turning down from the 1.5" base to the 1" tower diameter, I was taking .050" deep cuts (.1" off the diameter) with 3/8" carbide insert tools running about 800 RPM on the fastest power feed gear and it was just ripping through it. The finish was crap but that cleaned up at the end.

Here is one of the rooks with the stub still attached. That black block is just hiding my name. I plan to include a set of plans when I give it to my dad. He is an electrical engineer (well he has the degree, he's an attorney though) and I think he will think its pretty cool. He will also be happy to know that I am using the machines for "More than just gun stuff".
RS6QOm1.jpg

As a side note, there is about 20 thousanths of movement I can't seem to remove from the cross slide. It seems to be independant of the backlash and only results from direct force applied to the cross slide. If that is confusing, I will turn the dial towards me say 5 turns, then reverse direction several turns (backlash is most certainly taken up) then pull towards myself from the far end, and it will slip and than catch with about 20 thousandths of movement. I can then turn the dial the same direction and it continues without taking up any backlash.
Did you ever solve this problem? It sound to me like the bearing that is right behind the cross slide handle on the apron needs to be tightened up.

What great advice! My Dad always seemed to be threatened and jealous of me and treated me horribly. He now has a small part in my life which saddens me greatly. I have given up sooo much for my kids and am happy to do it. Everything I do is to help my son and his sister be better people. It is nice to see that there are other fathers who do the same for their kids. I can already see the results as my son is 13 and is an intelligent, thoughtful and caring guy who many of the other guys are jealous of. He does not understand why they are jealous, and I tell him just be who you are.

Did you ever solve this problem? It sound to me like the bearing that is right behind the cross slide handle on the apron needs to be tightened up.
No I havent fixed that. I havent yet been able to get the apron all the way apart or remove the lead screw. It hasnt been a huge issue and im trying to get everything squared away for Christmas before I go back in and try again.

I mentioned using some blocks to set the angle of the compound quickly. Switching back and forth would have taken forever otherwise. This helped me get the last rook done is 36 minutes.

I used a dial indicator to set the compound initially, then poisitioned the 1-2-3 block against my squared up block and the compound and tightened it down. then when I switched back, I positioned it the same way. I didnt measure how accurately it repositioned but the parts were visually identical and thats the part that matters here.

8H6WFFp.jpg

8H6WFFp.jpg

8H6WFFp.jpg

I could be wrong, but isn't that toolholder in the last picture a left hand cutting tool? Which is why you are having to angle your toolpost to get the cutting edge for a right hand cut?

I keep my toolpost at 90 degrees to the workpiece and the compound at 90 degrees to the cross slide, unless I am cutting threads or cutting a chamfer, in which case my toolpost is still at 90 degrees to the work, and the compound at the appropriate angle. I use carbide tooling, and the manufacturer builds the toolholder with the most efficient cutting angle, so keeping it perpendicular to the stock works.

No I havent fixed that. I havent yet been able to get the apron all the way apart or remove the lead screw. It hasnt been a huge issue and im trying to get everything squared away for Christmas before I go back in and try again.

You don't have to take the apron apart. YMMV, but you should be able to unscrew a cover off the center of the cross-slide handle, then remove the handle, which gives you access to a couple of screws holding the cross slide handle support block off. Once you unscrew the SHCS holding the lead screw block to the cross slide, the entire assembly should pull out the front of the apron. Maybe 5 minutes of work. The supporting bearings for the leadscrew come out with it.

Back