New Pm 1030v Lathe

Download the one on the 1127VFLB Page, it covers 95% of the information on this one too, they are almost the same. The manual for the 1022/1030 is coming up on our list, but will be some time. And the paper is to get the backlash spacing on the gears. Who is this by the way? You can email me direct, I have been here all day.

Yeah... most stuff from the other side of the ocean... has manuals written by folks to whom English is a second language...
Chinglish is what it has been called.

Show a pic of the plate with the threading guides on it... usually on the headstock... and someone will walk you through it.

Yes, and I am here for about another half hour if you email or call, after that, I am headed out for the day.

-Matt

I think I have it mostly sorted out. The problem I am having is that the gears arent spinning in the shaft. When they turn they just tighten down until they lock. I think its because the square nuts dont fit properly with the gears and dont allow them to rotate freely.

muHgMDR.jpg

Make the sure washers in the back where it tightens agains that long bar arent getting bent in, try to flip them around if they are. I have had that happen, some people have used grade 8 washers and that seemed to take care of it too, since they are stronger

Make the sure washers in the back where it tightens agains that long bar arent getting bent in, try to flip them around if they are. I have had that happen, some people have used grade 8 washers and that seemed to take care of it too, since they are stronger

**Edited to remove unnecessary comment**

The washers arent bent in, flipping them doesnt help. Ill try out some grade 8 washers to see if that helps.

Last edited:
What part of NC are you in? If you are somewhere central, I will be glad to help you figure the machine out. The gear swaps are confusing at first but once you figure it out it is a piece of cake.

What part of NC are you in? If you are somewhere central, I will be glad to help you figure the machine out. The gear swaps are confusing at first but once you figure it out it is a piece of cake.
I am in Cary, ill post my procedure to make sure I am not doing something wrong. I might need to take you up one that. Ill send Matt an email this morning as well.

The problem is caused by 2 things as far as I can tell: every time I swap the gear couplers, the shafts on the square bolts don't fit anymore. When I tighten the gears onto the quadrant and put the e-clips on, the e-clips bind to the gear causing the nut and clip to rotate with the gear, and tightening it until they lock in place completely.

Here is what I did:

1. Open gear cover

2. Loosen and swing out the quadrant

3. Loosen and remove the square bolts and remove top two gear sets

4. Using a piece of aluminum tap out the gear couplers

5. Using the same piece of aluminum tap the coupler into the new gear then tap the next gear onto the coupler

6. Try to insert square bolts, they don't fit

7. Tap bolts into place, use wrench to rotate them until they can spin freely. This took about 20 minutes each time (3 gear changes total)

8. Put washer between quadrant and gear assembly, install gear on quadrant and tighten down

9. 85% of the time, it would bind. Anytime I tightened it, the bolt would tighten as the gears turned until they were completely locked into place.

10. Read manual again to see if I missed anything, nope nothing there to miss.

Anything there look wrong? Are the gears and couplers supposed to be so tight they have to be tapped out?

Back