New owner to a craftsman 101.0743 and tons of tooling ( Bandwidth heavy warning )

Epic find with all that tooling, pity they all don't come like that!

Looks like you have Timken roller bearing, unlike the Babbitt type it's quite normal for the oil to run through like that, it lubes the bearing on the way down then lays in the dust shields for a while before leaking out. So you're in effect giving it a mini oil change with every cupful, putting a piece of felt in the cup slows it down a bit which gives you more confidence that it's lubed OK.

Bernard
No kidding! Amazing, the amount of tooling! More and more every box I open!

Thanks for the info on the bearings, makes me feel much better about the lathe. I will most likely pull the spindle in the next week and take a look. As for now I have some thicker green felt I'm going to cut a circle and pop in there. Thanks again!

Casey

I will most likely pull the spindle in the next week and take a look. As for now I have some thicker green felt I'm going to cut a circle and pop in there. Thanks again!

Casey

If the belt is OK and the bearings are quiet it may be best to run it as is for a while, pulling the spindle isn't as simple as it would seem, there is a tricky to remove/re-fit Woodruff key in the bull gear and sometimes doubled up grub screws in the step pulley, the Zamak parts can damage easily.

Then you have to reset the pre-load which is simple to do in theory but sometimes it takes a bit of fiddling to get things the same as they were.

Bernard

Casey , Whatever you do don't start pulling the lathe apart . Ever heard of , "A little knowledge is dangerous " occasionally . Lathes are like that. If as you say the guy knew what he was doing, then there is a great possibility that the machine is set & tuned to perfection . Judging by the scope , quality & quantity of the tooling the guy was an intelligent competent user of the machinery. I advise that you only clean and lube as per normal usage , then spend a couple of months regularly playing on the lathe , try making some basic lathe test pieces that will not only self teach you about the lathe , they will also tell you just how accurate & tuned the lathe is ..... You'll become good friends . The gibs , bearings etc may not need , " adjusting /fiddling " with for donkeys years . Dave f Oh by the way .... you can stop buying any more lottery tickets ........ you have won the big one & some with that set of gear .

If the belt is OK and the bearings are quiet it may be best to run it as is for a while, pulling the spindle isn't as simple as it would seem, there is a tricky to remove/re-fit Woodruff key in the bull gear and sometimes doubled up grub screws in the step pulley, the Zamak parts can damage easily.

Then you have to reset the pre-load which is simple to do in theory but sometimes it takes a bit of fiddling to get things the same as they were.

Bernard
Bernard,

Very true, I read up and watched some videos and it does look a bit tricky. Not to mention I have no documentation yet on any torque specs or adjustment procedures. I will leave her as is, just lube her up and give her a work out. Maybe I'll be able to learn something. I have to find some fun plans for things to make. Was looking at a hammer with replaceable impact surfaces, brass and/or plastic. Thanks

Casey

Casey , Whatever you do don't start pulling the lathe apart . Ever heard of , "A little knowledge is dangerous " occasionally . Lathes are like that. If as you say the guy knew what he was doing, then there is a great possibility that the machine is set & tuned to perfection . Judging by the scope , quality & quantity of the tooling the guy was an intelligent competent user of the machinery. I advise that you only clean and lube as per normal usage , then spend a couple of months regularly playing on the lathe , try making some basic lathe test pieces that will not only self teach you about the lathe , they will also tell you just how accurate & tuned the lathe is ..... You'll become good friends . The gibs , bearings etc may not need , " adjusting /fiddling " with for donkeys years . Dave f Oh by the way .... you can stop buying any more lottery tickets ........ you have won the big one & some with that set of gear .
Dave,

I have heard that phrase a few times before, and you're right. It is in great working order, and I'll leave her be. She's cutting nice and doesn't make any weird noises. With 90% of the tooling being hand made and the shape of this lathe, the previous owner knew exactly what he was doing. I have to find some projects to make. Thanks to you and Bernard for talking me out of pulling her apart.

Casey

There is a lathe uses hand book for the generic Atlas lathes of the era of our lathes , printed in Kalamazoo.

It covers a general descrition and how to do some things inc a regular lube schemee though there is no schedule for full strip & rebuild;d with torque figures.

No doubt on-line somewhere there is some sort of general guide in chart form for the size bolts in cast or whatever metal is involved with whatever thread form is used .

I don't have access to such a chart just almost 50 years of spanner games on all sorts of machinery you get a feel for thing ...eventually so you don't wreck things :talktogod:, mine is as ...

Finger tight , one finger pull , two finger tight pull . three finger tight pull , four finger tight pull .
hard pull and a gorilla tight . :lmao:

That tends to correspond with 1/8 , 1/4 , 1/2 ,5/8, 3/4 and 1" bolt shank diameters in mild steel with standard mild steel bolts, not high tensile ones . ... reduce it by half when in soft or cast metal :roflmao:

There is a fantastic get to know your lathe book that has some sensible exercises to enable you to make some basic useful tools for your lathe.
it is ....
" Lathework a complete course " by Harold Hall part of a set called, "Workshop practice series " this is book # 34 ISBN CODE 978-185486-230-3

If you want one but find difficulty in obtaining one " SPECIALINTERESTMODELBOOKS .CO.UK " is one source ..I got mine off " Amazon UK.2 for less than $ 20 USD.

It's written in the quaint English of the 1930's/ 1940's by " an old , real hands on engineer ) , he was also editor of Model Engineers Workshop but it is as relevant today as it was when first written .

Last edited:
There is a lathe uses hand book for the generic Atlas lathes of the era of our lathes , printed in Kalamazoo.

It covers a general descrition and how to do some things inc a regular lube schemee though there is no schedule for full strip & rebuild;d with torque figures.

No doubt on-line somewhere there is some sort of general guide in chart form for the size bolts in cast or whatever metal is involved with whatever thread form is used .

I don't have access to such a chart just almost 50 years of spanner games on all sorts of machinery you get a feel for thing ...eventually so you don't wreck things :talktogod:, mine is as ...

Finger tight , one finger pull , two finger tight pull . three finger tight pull , four finger tight pull .
hard pull and a gorilla tight . :lmao:

That tends to correspond with 1/8 , 1/4 , 1/2 ,5/8, 3/4 and 1" bolt shank diameters in mild steel with standard mild steel bolts, not high tensile ones . ... reduce it by half when in soft or cast metal

There is a fantastic get to know your lathe book that has some sensible exercises to enable you to make some basic useful tools for your lathe.
it is ....
" Lathework a complete course " by Harold Hall part of a set called, "Workshop practice series " this is book # 34 ISBN CODE 978-185486-230-3

If you want one but find difficulty in obtaining one " SPECIALINTERESTMODELBOOKS .CO.UK " is one source ..I got mine off " Amazon UK.2 for less than $ 20 USD.

It's written in the quaint English of the 1930's/ 1940's by " an old , real hands on engineer ) , he was also editor of Model Engineers Workshop but it is as relevant today as it was when first written .
Thanks Dave!

I went ahead and ordered the book, 7.99 plus 3.99 shipping and had an amazon 10 dollar credit so I paid just under 2 dollars for the book! Looking forward to reading it cover to cover! Thanks for the advise!

Casey

Sweet find!! And what a plethora of tooling. Keep all that mill tooling, for when you get a mill ... and you will, LOL.:whistle:

I really have to start haunting the estate sales and auctions, that is a very, very nice find.

Back