New / old work space 30x40 pole barn.

The OSB board is practical but probably even more so if you put a fire retardant paint on it, near the furnace I would add a layer of drywall, city fire codes probably required that an 18 inches of clearance. Shop looks good
That is a good question about the drywall ? I have a installer doing the work and I ran the bracket idea by him . It would be real easy to pull the top board and slip two sheets of drywall back there.
I was wanting the unit up off the floor and needed two sides or one side and the bottom opened for air. Duct work will be done first of the week so I will find out then.

All else fails read the instructios. It reads Do not install on combustible materials other than wood flooring. I texted my installer and he said he would use gas soaked rags ? Guess the novice questions are getting to him ?

Last edited:
Most people that I've known to do this, do it because it's cheaper.

I have some sheet rock & mostly wafer board. I like the wafer board. It looks OK painted, takes screws well for mounting things & can be removed & put back readily if necessary.

Don't forget pegboard, Its wonderful to hang things with. About half of my shop walls are peg board for the top half. Tim

I like the metal ceiling. I need to do that to my pole barn. I will have a problem insulating two walls because they are already covered.

What did you use for OSB, 1/2" or 3/4?

I like the metal ceiling. I need to do that to my pole barn. I will have a problem insulating two walls because they are already covered.

What did you use for OSB, 1/2" or 3/4?
The east and west walls are 1/2" and the north south are 7/16". The lumber yard only had 9 ft sheets in 7/16 " . With the beam on top I didn't have to cut a sheet. The local Amish did the cement years ago and it's almost perfect.

Well in between The holiday parties and my oldest daughter home on leave we managed to get the furance installed. Now we're waiting on the propane company to hookup a regulator and tank.
I have plenty to finish up till them ...
650ee59d70183c1408dc5698acabd983.jpg

Look at fire retardant paint for the bottom 4 feet, its a white plaster type stuff that a grinder spark wont smolder in the OSB with. I have also seen OSB mudded and painted look like sheet rock. I also use only metal outlet covers, the plastic ones are subjected to a lot of abuse and the metal ones keep the outlets stable and not moving around. It may seem like paranoia but I have been able to crack a plastic cover because the outlet was moving around the box.....and let some smoke out. Metal covers made them rock solid. JMHO Tim

That is going to be a great space. I'm very jealous... God bless.
Jon In Tucson

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

Back