New Milll and Lathe Ordered

Stonebriar

Rick
H-M Platinum Supporter
New guy here. I just put my down payment on the PM1236 lathe and PM935 mill. I want to thank you guys for this very informative forum to help me make up my mind on what to buy. Looking at the end of Oct for delivery. I am looking forward to it and will picture up.

Rick

Excellent choices. I have the 1236 and love it. Also have the PM45 which was what was available at the time (4-5 years ago). Both have served me without a hitch and are perfect for my needs. If you look at my posts, everything shown was done on those two machines along with hundreds of little custom parts and boat propeller shafts and repairs.

BTW, there is a 1236 user guide in a thread called the "PM1236 Frequently asked questions". It has most of the info you'll need. Let me know if there are other things that would make it more useful. Please grab the latest version.

Ray

New guy here. I just put my down payment on the PM1236 lathe and PM935 mill. I want to thank you guys for this very informative forum to help me make up my mind on what to buy. Looking at the end of Oct for delivery. I am looking forward to it and will picture up.

Rick

Thanks Ray I snagged the manual. I am not looking forward to the moving and installing but that is part of it.

Moving equipment is a chore for sure but, it's a necessary part of the process. Fortunately, it's not done very often. Use equipment that properly rated (or over-rated) for the job. Just be careful and stay out of the "drop zone". Watch your fingers and hands and do not grab in a bodily embracing way the machine while it's suspended. Finally, lathes and mills tend to be top heavy so, keep that in mind.

BTW: A member here received his 932 and the connecting wires in the motor terminal block were not fully tightened. This is very unfortunate and clearly someone at the factory let this slip past them. When you get yours, please check the connections before plugging it in. As mentioned many times, Matt runs and checks tram on all the machines before shipping them and a loose wire situation might not show-up until longer term vibration shakes it really loose.

I sent email to Matt and I'm sure he'll take corrective action and also send a note to the factory.

Ray

Thanks Ray I snagged the manual. I am not looking forward to the moving and installing but that is part of it.

New equipment is so much fun. We got a new Sodick Wire EDM for the shop. Power to go on Tuesday we hope. Should cut twice as fast as our current 20 yr old Sodicks.

Here is a topic about lifting and moving my lathe. Maybe you can find or make something similar.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/8262-Lifting-Hardware-to-move-lathe

The car dollies work very well to move the lathe once on a level floor using a automotive floor jack and appropriate blocks to lift and slide the dollies one at a time under the stand. The stand just fits on the dollies that I purchased. On can use angle iron to make the stand fit better if the shape of the dolly is not correct. There are different sizes and shapes and I did not pay more than 50 bucks for mine. Once in position I removed the dollies in reverse order. A friend uses them for car repairs and storage placement of vehicles in the barn.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...Master+2,500+lb+Wheel+Dolly+Set.jsp?locale=en

Pierre

Rick

Rick

Welcome to the forum!

Are these machines replacing existing ones or are these your first machines?

Inquiring mind(s) want to know!

Dan,

No I am a machining virgin. My work background is 42 years IT and 2 years welder fabricator (before the Army couldn't live without me). I live in rural Texas so I have always put together what was needed. I have always had interest in machining but didn't know how I could learn to do it without classes somewhere. I started watching TubalCain videos and got the Bug!
I am retiring in two years and want to be ready to play.

I am afraid I can be no help to anyone at this point.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Rick

Dan,

No I am a machining virgin. My work background is 42 years IT and 2 years welder fabricator (before the Army couldn't live without me). I live in rural Texas so I have always put together what was needed. I have always had interest in machining but didn't know how I could learn to do it without classes somewhere. I started watching TubalCain videos and got the Bug!
I am retiring in two years and want to be ready to play.

I am afraid I can be no help to anyone at this point.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Rick

Rick

You never know what question will be asked around here! IT questions do come up. Also, welding is a HOT topic here too! ;)

Hope you enjoy your new machines!

Does anyone have a recomendation on a face cutter for the 935? There seems to be many options on angles, number of cutters.

Rick

Last edited:
Back