new mill tome

dirty tools

Active User
Registered
I just bought a mill (or stole it $375) I have to go get it after I get out of the hospital (knee infection with surgery
to clean and drain the knee).
I do not own any tools for a mill and would like pointed in the direction.
I will be buying a vice and clamp set first then the working stuff as $$$$$$ permit.
Any pointer will of great help.

thanks

Keith

For a vertical mill (You didn't state the type of mill): A decent vise,like a Glacern. No name Chinese ones are not real accurate. Kurt is best,but costly. Don't buy too large a vise for your size mill. It will be heavy,and will cause wear under your table when it slides,and will eat up vertical space on a small mill. A 6" vise with a base under it weighs about 115#,depending upon make. If you aren't able to lift it,get a 4".

A clamping set. I used a Chinese set for years. Their main issue is their threads will pull sideways a little,making it not possible to spin the nuts down freehand. I now have a TECO set. They are much more expensive,but somehow I got a Teco set from Enco on sale for $52.00. Usually they are a few hundred. Much better,properly hardened,the blocks are smoother surfaced,so as to not mar your table. Put paper under Chinese blocks to protect table and add non skid property to them.
A dial test indicator. Chinese ones usually work o.k. if on a budget. I have a Mitutoyo. It is more sensitive than my Last Word indicators.
A set of collets to hold end mills. Chinese ones are not the best,but are o.k. for hobby. I did have ONE that was grossly off center. Most are o.k. for home shop use. If you can afford it,buy a more expensive set.
A set of end mills. Those 20 piece Chinese sets usually work reasonably well. But,I have had them come in nice and sharp,or not quite sharp. It's pot luck. Chinese HSS is harder,and also more brittle than USA end mills. For hobby use,they should be fine,but don't try taking too heavy a cut with them as they can snap off. If you can afford it,an alternative is to buy at least an assortment of HSS Atrax brand end mills from Enco or MSC. Enco always sells cheaper though it is owned by MSC. Atrax is not the best brand,but will be fine for hobby use. They are sharp,and made of decent HSS.

A horizontal/vertical rotary table,with index plates if possible

A decent key type drill chuck,1/2" capacity,with a shank on it that matches your mill
A set of decent drills,fractional 29 pc. set will do. Number drills later on. Buy an American set. Chinese drills often only bother to harden the common fraction sizes.
Some center drills for accurately starting drilled holes.
A 12" steel rule,PEC brand is fine. I like 4R grads(the usual fractions down to 1/64".
A steel square with a 6" beam.Cheap ones are not accurately square. Neither are combination sets. At least buy a name brand. A Mitutoyo would be good. Fowler MIGHT be o.k.. No telling where they were made,though.
A set of parallels.Ground lathe bits look nice,but are not very accurate. a set 1/4" thick is a good general use set. Chinese ones are reasonably accurate for home shop.

Buy or make a fly cutter that uses lathe bits. It will surface large areas better than any end mill can,and doesn't use a lot of power to operate it.

Last edited:
Just figured out that TOME is to me. A tome is a book.

Re: new mill to me

I will pick the mill around the Aug. 26 or 27. The Mill is a Government one and I do not know the brand name.
The mill is in good condition some surface rust. I am not sure of the voltage or number of phases it requires (minor)
untilly start using it.
I will leave it out side to disable, clean maybe repaint then re assy in the shop location.
The shop will need the elect. system changed to add the mill. When I did the elect I left space for
a mill and 2 or 3 other items depending on the power they need.
Thanks for your suggestions

What type mill is it? That would help my suggestion list.

Horizontal or Vertical mill?

I'm guessing vertical but its worth the question.

Back