New mill issue

Coomba

Active User
Registered
What do you think about this on a new mill table? Would the hassle of an exchange be worth it?

7.JPG

7.JPG

Is it near one of the ends or in the middle of the table. Either way it's worth contacting the vender about.

Is it near one of the ends or in the middle of the table. Either way it's worth contacting the vender about.

I have contacted to vender, and they will replace the mill. I just don't know if it would be worth it, because of the amount of work it took to get this mill to the second floor then lift it to the stand. If this were to be a problem would it be immediate, or would this be something that could sneak up on me?

It would sefinately mess with the straightness of that axis. For most projects it probably would not matter, but where both ends of a longer piece are required to be in the exact same plane it could cause an error. If it were me and I had shelled out my hard earned cash I would opt fot the replacement. The only question I would have is whether or not this is a common occurrence and if it is why is the factory allowing it to continue to happen. Have you tried to measure any difference it might have in following the same plane? You should be able to chuck up a DTI and get a measurement by just running the table full length of that axis. If you can live with the variance and it is a big hassle I would at least ask for a reduction in the price just to make it more palatable. Just my thoughts, maybe one of the old timers can chime in and tell us what the consequences might be or not.

Bob

I would be concerned that if the factory let this table out, what other unseen issues are there, or will be later when you can't return it. I realize your issue of moving it is a concern but if it was my money I would return it and I would want to inspect its replacement before accepting.

Regards
Darrell

What I see are two mill cuts that begin to lead off on the side of the T slots. While I often use the T Slots to align work, I never depend on them, indicate anything that needs precision. An assumption that this is the only error, however, could be dangerous.

It would sefinately mess with the straightness of that axis. For most projects it probably would not matter, but where both ends of a longer piece are required to be in the exact same plane it could cause an error. If it were me and I had shelled out my hard earned cash I would opt fot the replacement. The only question I would have is whether or not this is a common occurrence and if it is why is the factory allowing it to continue to happen. Have you tried to measure any difference it might have in following the same plane? You should be able to chuck up a DTI and get a measurement by just running the table full length of that axis. If you can live with the variance and it is a big hassle I would at least ask for a reduction in the price just to make it more palatable. Just my thoughts, maybe one of the old timers can chime in and tell us what the consequences might be or not.

Bob

Bob not quite sure I follow. The groves are cut vertically in the table ,but your asking me to check the table horizontally? I did put a vise on the table, and indicate it, across the face, and the top of the non moving jaw. The best I could get it was .0015, but that was only a length of 6.3"

Bob not quite sure I follow. The groves are cut vertically in the table ,but your asking me to check the table horizontally? I did put a vise on the table, and indicate it, across the face, and the top of the non moving jaw. The best I could get it was .0015, but that was only a length of 6.3"

I think he saying to use a indicator and measure the difference in alignment of the slot from one end to the other. Doing so can also find any misalignment in the table ways.

Personally, if the table ways run straight and the table in not harden I would skim cut the sides of the T slots until they are straight and true. Specially where your mill is located.

Good luck,

It would help to know what make and model the mill is. It is almost certainly made in the far east. Some are parts kits that take plenty of effort to make them work right, and others are pretty good machines.

Not knowing the above, I would insist that they replace the table. That way you don't have to move the machine down the stairs and ship it off. They probably want you to pay to ship it back to them. I would return it for refund in that case and buy from a more reputable company. If they don't have parts like a new table, then it would go back, give me my money back, good bye.

What I see are two mill cuts that begin to lead off on the side of the T slots. While I often use the T Slots to align work, I never depend on them, indicate anything that needs precision. An assumption that this is the only error, however, could be dangerous.

I have not indicated the whole length of the table, just the vise, which I thought was good. The manufacture of the vise, guaranteed it to be within .002 . As T Bredehoft said anything that needs precision should be indicated. I guess my worry is the strength of the cut ways.

Back