New member question.

Orangecrush

Registered
Registered
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and looking for the introduction thread. So I guess I'll start here with my introduction of myself. If this is the wrong thread please let me know.

Anyway, I was a machinist for Lockheed back in the 80's. I ran mills and lathes and some other machines. Now that I am retired, I bought a Grizzly G0704 vertical milling machine. I've been messing around with it for quite a while now and have made some pretty cool stuff with it.

Then about 3 or 4 months ago I found a great deal on a old Atlas horizontal mill and a Craftsman 101-27440 lathe you know the 12"x36" with the quick change gear box.

I am currently in the process of rebuilding the Atlas horizontal mill. Which when I bought it, it was covered in saw dust and needed a good cleaning and was told from the guy who I bought it from. That it had not been cleaned or working in over 35 years. I'll post some pictures here soon so you can see what I am talking about.

The Craftsman Lathe is in a lot better condition and probably only needs a good cleaning. I'll also send some pictures of the lathe so you can see what I am talking about.

Just glad I found this forum so I can learn more about these old machines.

Orangecrush,

Welcome.
There's more knowledge and help available here than you can poke a stick at. Looking forward to some pictures of the Atlas and the other machines.

pete

Hello 2volts,

Thanks you for your reply. I'm really looking forward to learning more from some of the people here that have one of these old machines. My Atlas horizontal mill was in pretty bad shape when I got it. I tore it down to the last bolt and gave it a good cleaning then painted it. I am just now starting to put it back together and I must admit it came out better than I thought it would.

Last night I put the table on and adjusted the Gibs on all the XY and Z axis. Next is to put the motor on and adjust the belts.

Thank you for the welcome to this great forum. I went ahead and posted on the Atlas Craftsman thread about my mill.

Thanks again,

Orangecrush

Back