New member looking for a couple items for my RF-31

zakruvalcaba

Registered
Registered
Hello all! New member here. Just picked up a RF-31 on a really good deal. Looking to fabricate some small parts for my boat and do some gunsmithing work including completing some AR15 lowers. At any rate, I'm looking for the cross bolts that tighten the head to the column and prevent it from moving side to side. From what I can tell they appear to be 11/16"x6 bolts. It appears as though the previous owner used 5/8"x6 bolts and the hex pattern doesn't fit the hex pattern on the head so it causes the bolt to turn when I attempt to loosen or tighten from one side. I end up having to jam a screwdriver in there to secure the bolt head while I turn the other side...it's kind of a pain. I bought 3/4"x6 bolts and they're just a hair too big so I assume they are 11/16. I'm having a heck of a time locating these bolts...anyone have any idea where I can find these? No luck at HomeDepot, Fastenal, or Grainger. Thanks!

Zak

Last edited:
Could be. I don't care either way, I just want to make loosening and tightening this thing easier. That would make them 17mm correct? Any idea where to find a 17mm bolt that is 6" long then?

I agree with Billh50, these are likely to be metric.

5/8 = 0.625in.
16mm = 0.63in

Check the pitch with a thread gauge. May be coarse or fine thread.

Best place to find these is either an online site which sells metric hardware, or by machining 3/4in bolts to size. The diameter needs to be machined on a lathe and the head machined on a mill.

If one nut is captive, you might be able to use threaded rod(cut to required length) and two nuts.
-brino

Thanks guys. One side is captive....the threaded rod may work if I can find a nut that'll fit into that area. I'll get a picture together tonight to show my delimma.

The manual for the RF-31 shows them as 5/8" bolts (#52).

https://www.pts-tools.com/MSDS/RL80RF313.pdf

Bolt Depot shows the hex head width for a 5/8" bolt as 15/16"

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/bolts/us-bolt-head-size.aspx

Hope this helps.

I got rid of my RF30 earlier this year so I couldn't walk out and check. I would note that I have gotten many a Chinese fastener that did not have a standard size head on it. In some cases SAE fasteners with clear metric size heads.

What the manual shows and what actually fit are two different things apparently. I'm using 5/8" bolts now and the casting on the head is too big for the heads of the bolts. They freely spin....

Back