New Member Getting A Couple Of Bridgeports Questions About Moving Them

Today I'm getting pallets, 2x4's,pry bars, hydraulic jacks, floor jacks, chains , comealongs, blocking, straps , trailers and trucks ready to go in the morning. The 4x4 forklift is to tall to enter the shop where the machines are so I'm taking a lower profile forklift. It is also on inflated tires and is 4000 lb rated but has a total height of 78 inches. I intend to lift under the ram with 2x4's set them. I also plan on c clamping the wood onto the forks. The forks are 7 ft so placing on trailer should be easy. It should also give me room to screw 2x4,s on all sides of the mill . This should reduce the chance of a mishap to a minimum I will load on to a wood deck trailer and lag them down into the trailer for transport and strap them down. This trailer is 16x6 and a deck at 15 inches. I think lower is better. I know it is like wearing a belt and suspenders but I will feel better. I got 6 inch lags and I hope there are hole thru the base of the mills. I'm also taking a 40 ft drop deck and a 1 ton 12x8 bed. The drop deck for the lathes , welder and surface grinder. small items on the 12x8 and both mills on the 16x6. The next trick is to take pictures on my phone and transfer them to my computer. A little techier than I am use to. The 6x 16 is pulled by my tool truck so we have ample tools available. Boy aren't we having fun now.

Biggest thing is just be careful don't lift any higher then needed, moving them strapped is ok . But the forks can hit items and breaks will occur. I don't care really which way you move them , I would move them with as much hold down as I could get. Again be careful and welcome to the site.

I got everything home and no problems. I had to slide the machines outside before we could lift them. Now I know why you turn the head down. 7 ft door. The j head mill was easy to pickup with the forks with 2x4 under the ram . However the series 1 cnc was a bear. There was no power to the machine so I could not crank the table in which through the machine out of balanced to the front of the machine. The wiring was to short to rotate the head 180 degrees. I got it about 90 degrees but there was not enough room for the forks and the 2x4's. So I used straps to lift the machine and it hung crooked but i was able to get it loaded. I locked everything that i could lock.I screwed 3/8 lags into the trailer decking and used 2 load straps per machine. They road well on the way home. The ways have a fish scale pattern on the in and out. The Series 1 pattern looks ever and very distinct. The j head mill right side was a little fainter then the left but I'll send pictures tomorrow. The table on the series 1 has a couple drill holes into it. I think the j head looks better but a good cleaning will help determine it. The previous owner had cats in the shop and I think I got about 50 lbs of cat hair as part of the deal. I plan on blowing down the machines tomorrow the start a good cleaning. Anyone have suggestions for the best cleaner? I was thinking of using kerosene, stiff brush, and lot of rags. All 5 machines appear to be complete and are probable operational where I hook them up. the monarch 10 ee was previously converted to ac with a vfd. I can not find a name plate so I assume it's missing. Anyone have any insight here let me know. It is a 2500 rpm round gauge 20 in .Anything I should be aware of before cleaning and testing the machines? Thanks for all of your help.

Congratulations! Happy to here you made it home safely.:encourage:

Kerosene, diesel, paint thinner, etc will work fine for cleaning.

I'm thinking about buying a phase converter to run the Series 1 cnc bridgeport. Anyone done this and what was the results. The j head milling machine I was thinking of using a 3 hp vfd that I already have. Should I expect any problems?
Ted

The VFD will work fine on the J head.

A RCP should work OK on the CNC, but you will want to check the leg to leg voltage balance and add (or subtract) capacitors to achieve the best balance.

I ran the j head mill today on the 3 hp vfd. It ran wonderfully. It is nice to make chips for the first time on a new to me mill. I cut slots in a 1/4 thick 304 stainless screen for my cider mill Now that I have the monarch 10 ee operational also. I plan to work on to the surface grinder. I'll be using a vfd on it also.

Back