New member from Nevada

Mr Mike

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hello from the Silver State..

My name is Mike, I'm your average do it all kinda person, I'm pretty adept at wood working and dabble in everything else.

If I have learned anything in life it would be, Every thing you learn adds exponentially to what you already know opening a whole new world of opportunity, Hopefully I'm ready to add machining to my dabble list.

Thanks for having this laymen forum as a place to start. I do not yet have a Lathe, but scouring these forums I'm learning what to look for while hitting Craigslist nightly, I know almost nothing about lathes but my understanding is the ways are the big issue..

I found a Logan 1875 in California that may fit the bill for a first lathe both in size and usability, it was a School shop lathe Ive been told. It can be found on craigs list by searching for logan 1875 - asking 1500.00 for it. but I can get it for around a grand with some tooling... who knows may be driving there Saturday..

Ill be around here and there learning what I can, Good day.

Welcome to the forum, Mike. Sounds like you are paying attention to learning what you need to. Tell us the details of the Logan for sale and we may be able to give you some ideas and things to look for. Photos are always a plus! Best of luck in your lathe search.

Welcome to the best hobbyist forum there is. You will find many members here ready and able to help you get started.

Roy

Welcome to the forum, Mike. Sounds like you are paying attention to learning what you need to. Tell us the details of the Logan for sale and we may be able to give you some ideas and things to look for. Photos are always a plus! Best of luck in your lathe search.

Hi bob, I have been browsing a few machinist forums researching the good the bad and ugly about lathes.

There are many many variables that I have to contend with for my first lathe purchase that can be daunting for a low knowledge buyer like me, because as I'm learning most of the variables only become a pro or con based on intended use and not the lathe itself.

My intended use will be many applications so I need a well rounded lathe, A plus to old Iron is weight and stability and robustness, the cons are the 9" and 10" size Logans and Southbends Iv'e run across lack high RPM for small size light base materials such as Aluminum and brass and older lathes do not fair well with metric threading without changing gear sets, the Logans still have some parts available from Logan so I'm leaning that way ( some at least ), RPM is a plus for the new import lathes but they're lacking power on small units but at the new price tag to go with it $3500.00 to start for a decent new lathe that has the minimum features I believe I will make use of.

As far as I can tell I would to soon out grow a mini lathe, not that they cant be made to be accurate but due to size and ability to work mild steel. So unless I'm willing to fork over big bucks for a new large lathe - I need to find and love an old one. In fact many common features found on an older model cant be found on imports till after the $2700.00 range of an 8" X 20" Powered cross slide for instance, and many don't have a reverse function.

This research is killing me cause even most the terminology is alien to me, Engine Lath, Tool Lathe, Turret Lathe, Quick release tool post, and many many more. And the mis-information ( or misleading information ) is the worst part - and the lathe is the cheap part of this transaction, even thou there are basically just a couple manufactures of the import lathes that are all just re-branded models - very few places carry a decent line up of Accessories, and the research list goes on and on.

unfortunately manual lathes are all but none existent here so my options are limited, Even import lathes are no where to be found here, I have to either search remote areas for old iron that may harbor unseen issue at a great beginner price or purchase a new much more expensive machine from a trusted brand for the backing such as grizzly or amazon, Ebay for this is not really a good option.

Thats about 1/2 of what Iv'e learned to this point, I have a list of wants...

My first lathe needs to: ( some what negotiable if I'm not thinking this thru proper )
fit in an area of 5' X 2' .
Be around 800 to 1000 Lbs on a pedestal, I can move that my self.
Be between 9" X 22" and 12" x 32" center to center.
have the ability to turn aluminum and steel with reasonable accurately, Pre-loaded backlash a plus.
have a reverse function ( for left handed threads I think ) for drilling and working either side of the project as needed.
Powered cross slide and compound slide.
Have a Std Tailstock, Turret would be ok.
Have a Std tool post, QCTP would be great but not necessary.
Have an enclosed 240v electric motor single phase, Not hanging off or supported at the rear, V belt preferred but not a deal breaker.
Have heat/induction treated ways ( Hard to tell on old iron ).
Have a self centering chuck.
Can have a gear head.

Thats off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm missing lots.
I intend to make allot of my own accessories after I learn enough about tooling, I intend to get a decent Mill as well - Lathe first thou.

I would like to find a complete lathe, getting a good price on a lathe with missing components just makes things harder, even if I need to replace an item down the road having the original part with the lathe makes identifying what a correct replacement looks like is very helpful.

Old with surface rust in usable condition is ideal ( better price ), but strait is a must - I don't mind getting my hands dirty and cleaning it up.

Here is one that interests me an 1875 Logan lathe, if its mechanically fine I think i cant tackle the rest.

Aprin.JPG QuickChange.JPG FrontWays.JPG Gears.JPG Lathe.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the best hobbyist forum there is. You will find many members here ready and able to help you get started.

Roy

Thank you Roy, much appreciated..
This forum seemed like the logical place to start out.

That Logan would be a dream machine to me. It looks to be in good shape from what I can see. Here in OK good used quality lathes are hard to find. All I have room for is my 7x16 mini lathe and X2 mini mill. Pretty quick the Logan experts will be online and perhaps give you some guidance. It sounds like you are getting up to speed very quickly, a fast learner for sure. Best of luck to you on finding the right machine. Your search for the perfect machine is very interesting to me as a fellow hobbyist. As a retired mechanic I tend to look at what I can make of the machine and that can get to be expensive and time consuming. I predict you are going to get the machine you want and be a happy camper.

Roy

Mike, welcome to the forum.
That Logan looks good to my inexperienced eye. If you have the time and patience it would be an education to clean up a lathe like that before you actually have to use it, as long as there are no serious issues with it. If there is a member close to you who could help you size up that lathe in person it might be reassuring.
Bob Korves provided a video recently about checking a lathe for wear.

Hi bob, I have been browsing a few machinist forums researching the good the bad and ugly about lathes.

There are many many variables that I have to contend with for my first lathe purchase that can be daunting for a low knowledge buyer like me, because as I'm learning most of the variables only become a pro or con based on intended use and not the lathe itself.

My intended use will be many applications so I need a well rounded lathe, A plus to old Iron is weight and stability and robustness, the cons are the 9" and 10" size Logans and Southbends Iv'e run across lack high RPM for small size light base materials such as Aluminum and brass and older lathes do not fair well with metric threading without changing gear sets, the Logans still have some parts available from Logan so I'm leaning that way ( some at least ), RPM is a plus for the new import lathes but they're lacking power on small units but at the new price tag to go with it $3500.00 to start for a decent new lathe that has the minimum features I believe I will make use of.

As far as I can tell I would to soon out grow a mini lathe, not that they cant be made to be accurate but due to size and ability to work mild steel. So unless I'm willing to fork over big bucks for a new large lathe - I need to find and love an old one. In fact many common features found on an older model cant be found on imports till after the $2700.00 range of an 8" X 20" Powered cross slide for instance, and many don't have a reverse function.

This research is killing me cause even most the terminology is alien to me, Engine Lath, Tool Lathe, Turret Lathe, Quick release tool post, and many many more. And the mis-information ( or misleading information ) is the worst part - and the lathe is the cheap part of this transaction, even thou there are basically just a couple manufactures of the import lathes that are all just re-branded models - very few places carry a decent line up of Accessories, and the research list goes on and on.

unfortunately manual lathes are all but none existent here so my options are limited, Even import lathes are no where to be found here, I have to either search remote areas for old iron that may harbor unseen issue at a great beginner price or purchase a new much more expensive machine from a trusted brand for the backing such as grizzly or amazon, Ebay for this is not really a good option.

Thats about 1/2 of what Iv'e learned to this point, I have a list of wants...

My first lathe needs to: ( some what negotiable if I'm not thinking this thru proper )
fit in an area of 5' X 2' .
Be around 800 to 1000 Lbs on a pedestal, I can move that my self.
Be between 9" X 22" and 12" x 32" center to center.
have the ability to turn aluminum and steel with reasonable accurately, Pre-loaded backlash a plus.
have a reverse function ( for left handed threads I think ) for drilling and working either side of the project as needed.
Powered cross slide and compound slide.
Have a Std Tailstock, Turret would be ok.
Have a Std tool post, QCTP would be great but not necessary.
Have an enclosed 240v electric motor single phase, Not hanging off or supported at the rear, V belt preferred but not a deal breaker.
Have heat/induction treated ways ( Hard to tell on old iron ).
Have a self centering chuck.
Can have a gear head.

Thats off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm missing lots.
I intend to make allot of my own accessories after I learn enough about tooling, I intend to get a decent Mill as well - Lathe first thou.

I would like to find a complete lathe, getting a good price on a lathe with missing components just makes things harder, even if I need to replace an item down the road having the original part with the lathe makes identifying what a correct replacement looks like is very helpful.

Old with surface rust in usable condition is ideal ( better price ), but strait is a must - I don't mind getting my hands dirty and cleaning it up.

Here is one that interests me an 1875 Logan lathe, if its mechanically fine I think i cant tackle the rest.

View attachment 239059 View attachment 239060 View attachment 239061 View attachment 239062 View attachment 239063
Mike, you have educated yourself quite well for a newbie, I am in awe. A few comments and questions:
SOME new parts are available for Logans, but they are pricey. Used parts are often available for most lathes, except for the one you need really bad and right away.

Imports all look the same, but they are built in many factories to the same designs, and many of the parts are made in small shops, some in garage size shops, and then brought together to become a lathe. Although they might look all the same except for the paint color, often seemingly interchangeable parts when held at hand's length will not quite fit another "brand" of Chinese lathe, or ones they made a few years before. Sometimes they can be made to fit. That is not really a problem. The castings do not often fail. Many parts can be made by the machinist. Some are standard hardware.

Is your 5' x 2' size critical? I think I could see you with something like a 12x36" lathe, which are capable of a large range of work but might be a bit larger than your stated limit. Older lathes often do not have adequate high speeds, especially for using carbide tooling. On something like a 12x36, I would be looking for a high speed of at least 1500, and 2000 is better. A ball bearing spindle is needed to reach those speeds. Low speeds are just as important. Mine goes to 70 rpm, but that is sometimes not really low enough, though it can be worked with. I would prefer a low end down to around 36 to 45 rpm on my 13x40 lathe. Smaller lathes are often limited from doing large work more by limited low speeds than by the lathe capacity. You will very soon want a QCTP. Do not dismiss 3 phase machines out of hand. With a VFD (~$200) you can run the lathe off single phase and also have variable speed control at the same time, and some other benefits as well. Often if you can tweak the speed a bit you can stop chatter, and/or improve surface finish. Speeds can also be extended to some extent with a VFD, but there are some caveats to that. You will want a 4 jaw independent and a 3 jaw scroll (self centering) chuck to start out with. That is pretty standard stuff.

You are new to lathes. If you are looking at used lathes, I highly recommend finding a knowledgeable and experienced person to help you inspect and evaluate them. A real dog looks about the same as a real score to someone who does not know what to look for. Some help might be good for choosing a new lathe as well. Buying tooling is expensive, figure that into whatever you buy and what it comes with.

Lastly, do not get in a hurry. Take your time and make sure you get what you want for what you want to pay, and in a condition that will not sour you on machining. Patience is a required virtue here. You are definitely on the right track...
HAVE FUN! And keep us posted...

Last edited:
Back