New Member From Langley Bc Ready To Start Lathe & Mill Shopping

Congrats, David. Still a few steps to go, then the chips will fly. Did you get the bike done? Hard to think straight when you have two big but unrelated projects on the go at the same time.
Thanks Hawkeye, you mean this bike, the 1981 GS650E? this is when i picked it up in February.

IMG_7453_zps6lourhew.jpg

Here is how it looks now, so not quite finished, ha ha.

photo%2017_zpsbvj6ic97.jpg

Plenty work left to do on that one, but here's two I have finished.

photo20295_zpsmwy0rnww.jpg

David.

Thanks for sharing all the pics. Glad to see you got everything into it's temporary location.

The Suzukis look great - I didn't see the before pictures but the finished product looks awesome!

Those 1000s look great. You'll have your attention divided soon enough. Start making a list of tools you want to make for the tools. :grin:

Thanks for sharing all the pics. Glad to see you got everything into it's temporary location.

The Suzukis look great - I didn't see the before pictures but the finished product looks awesome!

Thanks for commenting on my thread BFHammer, my pleasure to post the pictures as it's a nice reference for myself and for others who maybe getting these machines in the future.

As far as the two 1980 Suzuki' GS1000S's, I did document the work on them, it's a long thread but plenty of pictures to look at if you care to.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?209217-1980-GS1000S-Reluctant-Rebuild

Cheers,

David.

I have finally got a bit more progress on my machines.

I bought most of the parts to do the VFD conversion but was missing a few critical bits.

As I was in no hurry, so it went on the back burner until I was ready to tackle it.

The last few weeks I've been receiving packages from McMaster Carr and Automation Direct, about eight separate packages as it turns out, always one last thing I forgot, so another order.

Here is the Hubble 14" X 12' X 8" box for my PM 935TS Mill, I was going to put the fan in the bottom and vent out the top left side but I was concerned about the amount of cables I needed to bring in through the bottom of the cabinet, so I went with fan on lower left and vent top left.

That gives me plenty of room for the cables coming in the bottom but I had forgotten that I was going to install the 120VAC outlets on the lower left of the cabinet. Oh well not the first change I needed to make on the fly.

I cut two 4" holes, lots of chatter when using holes saws and it's hard to get the drill to go slow enough without grabbing and stalling, got it done after resting the drill a few times..

1519611318332.png

I mounted the VFD a while back but now realized that I needed to move it so I flipped the back panel around and redid the mounting closer to the top left side.

The old holes should be covered by the DIN Rail.

1519612737495.png

Here is the box, almost finished the layout, I also relocated the braking resistor to the top of the cabinet as I had it mounted on the left side previously.

1519612972137.png

Another view showing the Main Power Disconnect Switch mounted on the side of the box, which will face forward.

I may install a pilot light above it at some point, so I can see if it's powered up from a distance before I leave the shop.

The 24 VDC power supply is a 60 Watt unit from Automation Direct.

1519613139383.png

Here's the control pod, just need to get this wired and mounted and labels for each switch.

The layout is as follows,
Top - ebay tach
Top Swtiches, Left - Speed Control, Right - Forward/Rev switch
Middle, Green _ Start, Red - Stop
Bottom - Emergency Stop

1519613220502.png

That's about all for now.

David

Last edited:
David: I simply cut a hole in my box and placed a Plexiglass cover over the VFD. It both shows if it's on and displays frequency as well. I've been unable to view your prior pics as I get a message that photobucket 3rd party hosting has been temporarily disabled - Do I have to subscribe and pay Photobucket to see these images? AND, thanks for posting this stuff. it really helps
Alex
IMG_0466.JPG

You can down load this file to see the photobucket pictures, you should be able to view them with this fix until I get around to updating them.

For Chrome.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...nk-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg?hl=en

If you don't use chrome use google to find the fix for your web browser.

I now use imgbox.com as it allows hot linking for free unlike Photo Bucket that wants $400 US year.

David.

I can see the pics, thanks for he tips. I ordered a bunch of parts from McMaster Carr, E-bay and Automation direct to install the VFD and hook up the power supply. Trying to source a few parts locally from our industrial suppliers - we'll see how that works out. I already realize I missed some items.
Alex

Progress is happening again, I was away for the month of March traveling and have finally freed up some time this weekend to get back at the machines.

I finished pulling the wire to both machines and I wired up the sub panel with two 30AMP breakers and buttoned that up.

The mill is now hardwired, but I'm trying to figure out if I can use a plug for the lathe.
It would be nice if I can unplug it if needed and I have one of those Range wall receptacles (which I'll mount overhead) and hope to use that and make a custom cable to drop down to the lathe. If that doesn't work out I'll just hardware it.

On the mill I reinstalled the VFD control box and wired up the rotary power switch and ran the power through the fuses, I just need a couple of DIN rail terminals to split the 240VAC and 120VAC so I placed an order with AD so should have those in a few days.

The control pod for the mill is not yet mounted so I'll tackle that next.

I have a small job to machine 8 brass knob guards for work so it would be nice if I can get it working soon to get those done, but I've got a backup plan if they are needed before I'm ready.
I'm really feeling comfortable wiring the mill and I have the entire thing mapped out in my head how it's all going to come together, ha ha probably just jinx myself.
Nice that Mark (MKSJ) supplied the wiring diagrams which has been a great help but the wiring routes have taken quite a bit of thought and I'm trying to make them presentable and teach my sons (13 and 14 years old) how the systems work at the same time.

I've enrolled my 14 year old to assist with the programming of the VFD, he leads his robotics team at school, does most of the high level programming and is pretty sharp when it comes to this kind of stuff, so hopefully it shouldn't be a big stretch for him to get the VFD setup and running.

I'll have some photos worth posting by next weekend.

David.

Last edited:
Back